• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hamster

Inane newbiety

This topic is 6108 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, After having looked through some tuts on quaternions I now finally have nice SLERP''d, non-gimbal-locking rotations working. The problem I''m facing now is when and where to translate. I''ve tried various orders of rotations and translations, all of which lead to varying, but not perfect results. Ideally, my camera should rotate on its own axis, and be able to move forwards, backwards and sideways relative to the direction in which it is facing. I can think of a few ways of doing this with trig, but am wondering if there are any other methods used - After all the work on the quaternions I''d prefer not to end up with interdependant calculations again and it would probably take a bit of overhead to turn the quaternions into degree figures so my simple mind could attempt trig with them. Thanks for your help. John

Advertisement
Quaternions are (in my opinion) more work than they''re worth.

You can set up a simple camera framework using matricies that will work much easier. (and if you''re using DX you hardly have to do anything :-))

-Lonely

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!