• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

.NET and Its effect on Game Development

This topic is 5924 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Visual Studio.NET, the supposodly great new Visual Studio Version from the infamous Microsoft. Has turned many heads with its new "language independence", meaning that any given language *can* compile into the same machine code, either at install time or build time. Given that, C/C++ *may* not have a significant advantage over other languages, like C# or Java. Will game development houses turn to these other languages, especially C#, and gain a little in organization, or will they keep with tradition and stay with C/C++? All comments accepted.

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Kylotan
Few C++ programmers think that C# offers any improvement over C++.

Change that to "Few C++ game programmers..." and I''ll agree with you. Reception is generally positive in less niche-oriented disciplines.

Once there was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time is called the Dark Ages.

Also remember that this is the same type of people that believed anything more high level than assembler was unsuitable for games until Carmack proved them wrong.

Once there was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time is called the Dark Ages.

quote:

Also remember that this is the same type of people that believed anything more high level than assembler was unsuitable for games until Carmack proved them wrong.

I don''t think it was Carmack as much as advances in hardware that made assembly less relevant. Carmack would still be using assembly is that''s what it took.

Take care,
Bill

Have you ever tried to do COM object development in C++?
How about MVC type GUI development?
Or CGI and ISAPI filter development?

These things are all stuff I have to do at work and they are very time consuming and difficult and error prone.
C#, WebForms and the new GUI controls are going to make this much much easier and cleaner.

I don''t think it will be used in games but I want to lean the new GUI constructs for writing utilities and even game front ends.

I don`t have any problem with C# or interpreted language for that matters. The only issue for me is portability. I like when stuff runs on Linux, Windows, Mac and consoles! Even though .NET byte code is open, I haven`t seen anybody trying to make it run on other platform yet. Supposedly, Microsoft is writing a Mac .NET.

One thing I always wanted to do is use Java or Python for a script language and have a little C++ kernel, but the fact that there are no Python or Java implementation on consoles turn me off a bit(because I need console support). It is much simpler to port your own code than someone else`s.

quote:
Original post by Gorg
I Even though .NET byte code is open, I haven`t seen anybody trying to make it run on other platform yet.

You should go here then: www.go-mono.org. There are a couple of other projects too - Portable.NET comes to mind, but I''m too lazy to find an URL for you.
quote:

Supposedly, Microsoft is writing a Mac .NET.

No, MS has promised a "Shared Source"-implementation of .NET for FreeBSD.

quote:

I like when stuff runs on Linux, Windows, Mac and consoles!

Why? For the most part, making something cross-platform means you drop features and add overhead, without really addressing compatability concerns.

Take care,
Bill

• Advertisement