.NET and Its effect on Game Development

Started by
17 comments, last by CpMan 22 years, 2 months ago
quote:Original post by Siebharinn

I like when stuff runs on Linux, Windows, Mac and consoles!

Why? For the most part, making something cross-platform means you drop features and add overhead, without really addressing compatability concerns.

Take care,
Bill

Why? Open your markets. Makes myself more knowlegdeable, more experience. You learn a great deal about software design while doing that.

I do not drop features. If a feature is avaible on a platform, but not on another, well you only use it on this platform(ex. force feedback).

Overhead is minimal. Adding one layer over the OS system calls is not very expensive.

I don''t understand what you mean by compatibility concerns? Can you clarifiy?
Advertisement
quote:Open your markets.

Thank you, I''ll just saturate the one market that matters. The four or five people on Linux/Mac/whatever just aren''t worth the effort.

quote:
You learn a great deal about software design while doing that.

I disagree. Especially since most people''s cross platform efforts involve using someone elses libraries (SDL, OpenGL, etc) or tools (Java, Python) to write their code. If I write something in Java, I can hardly pat myself on the back for writing cross-platform code. What did I learn? Now, if you were writing your own cross platform GUI, or a new Java VM for a platform, then yes, you''d be learning a ton.

quote:
I do not drop features. If a feature is avaible on a platform, but not on another, well you only use it on this platform(ex. force feedback).

Not using a feature on a platform is *dropping* it on that platform. That''s exactly what I meant. On some platforms that you support, you''re going to have to disable parts of your program.

quote:

I''ve done quite a few business apps in Java for work. The idea (mandated from the powers that be) was that our code should run on the Solaris servers and Windows clients. It didn''t really work like that though, and due to differences in the VM implementations, we ended up writing several native libraries that had to be done differently for each platform.
I''ve also used some C++ libraries that were supposed to be cross platform, and they required a ton of #ifdefs for platform specific sections. It was a pain in the rear, and the end benefit of having multiple platforms was almost negliable.

I don''t mean for this to be a bash on Linux or MacOS or whatever. I''d still be useing BeOS if it hadn''t rolled over and died. I disagree with the assertion that writing cross platform code makes for better design or cleaner code. And there is no valid market reason for it, otherwise you''d see more cross platform games.

Take care,
Bill
Siebharinn, a man after my own heart!

(I love Linux, but Windows rules).

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
LOL Windows people unite (plz someone drop a bomb on the as soon when they do)
quote:Original post by Siebharinn
Open your markets.

Thank you, I''ll just saturate the one market that matters. The four or five people on Linux/Mac/whatever just aren''t worth the effort.

quote:
You learn a great deal about software design while doing that.

I disagree. Especially since most people''s cross platform efforts involve using someone elses libraries (SDL, OpenGL, etc) or tools (Java, Python) to write their code. If I write something in Java, I can hardly pat myself on the back for writing cross-platform code. What did I learn? Now, if you were writing your own cross platform GUI, or a new Java VM for a platform, then yes, you''d be learning a ton.

quote:

Not using a feature on a platform is *dropping* it on that platform. That''s exactly what I meant. On some platforms that you support, you''re going to have to disable parts of your program.

quote:

I''ve done quite a few business apps in Java for work. The idea (mandated from the powers that be) was that our code should run on the Solaris servers and Windows clients. It didn''t really work like that though, and due to differences in the VM implementations, we ended up writing several native libraries that had to be done differently for each platform.
I''ve also used some C++ libraries that were supposed to be cross platform, and they required a ton of #ifdefs for platform specific sections. It was a pain in the rear, and the end benefit of having multiple platforms was almost negliable.

I don''t mean for this to be a bash on Linux or MacOS or whatever. I''d still be useing BeOS if it hadn''t rolled over and died. I disagree with the assertion that writing cross platform code makes for better design or cleaner code. And there is no valid market reason for it, otherwise you''d see more cross platform games.

Take care,
Bill

Wait a minute does this mean that C# is going to require all the runtime DLLs to support it like VB programs? Besides unless you have a need for the features C# has for C++ then its really not worth switching. I think I''ll stick to my Borland compiler.
Patrick
I''ll admit I don''t have much experiance writting cross-platform programs. I either write a program for Window or Linux, and If I want it to run on another platform I''ll port it over by hand (none of this cross-platform crap). Personally I have some big conserns as to stability and security of these .Net VM''s.
Patrick
quote:but the fact that there are no Python or Java implementation on consoles turn me off a bit

Actually, the Sun folks says that the Dreamcast games Skies of Arcadia and Daytona USA shipped with JVMs, so apparently someone has written a Java implementation for a console I know Dreamcasts are not very interesting anymore, I''m personally looking forward to what Sony''s Java initiatives will lead up to.
quote:Original post by prh99
Wait a minute does this mean that C# is going to require all the runtime DLLs to support it like VB programs?

The redistributable runtime is currently ~19 megs, which is more than the JRE. However, it will ship with future MS OS''s, and will be provided in service packs for 2K and XP.

quote:
Personally I have some big conserns as to stability and security of these .Net VM''s.

And these concerns are based on what? (Considering the .NET runtime isnt really a VM, I sort of doubt your sources)

Once there was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time is called the Dark Ages.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement