• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ALGOL->BCPL->C->C++->D?

This topic is 5917 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
www.digitalmars.com/d/ I''d click here instead

I''d say it is a bit like the empty restaurant. No one goes in while it is still empty. C++ works just fine for most people, so why are they going to switch when there is no demand? The only reason might be if other people are using it, which they aren''t. Having said that, I haven''t actually checked it out yet. Mob mentality rules

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Sorry, about the link, but...

I read it in DDJ and it seamed to have a few changes in it. For example, they use ''modules'' instead of .h''s.

ragonastick has a point there.. It's no use in mastering a new language incase you never will be able to use it.. I'll stick to C++.. Atleast until D becomes industry standard, which I doubt will ever happend.. But thats just me...

Edited by - Rickmeister on February 2, 2002 1:18:49 AM

quote:
Original post by Andrew Nguyen
Mabye if it adds some groundbreaking thing or technology into it.

It''s not though - it''s like Java or C#, it''s taking groundbreaking features away, in interest of making the compiler easier to write.

Mabye it''s trying to follow the tradition of the languages!
BCPL was a stripped down version of ALGOL, B was a stripped version of BCPL and C was a stripped down version of B and C++ was just not following the tradition of stripping languages down to it''s core! We have made D!

From now on, we will code with the 3 basic boolean gates, AND OR and NOT!

I find it extremely interesting to read Andrew Nguyen''s posts. It seems that everything he posts is somehow related to the utter evilness of C++ and the perfections of other languages. He''s created threads advocating Python, some sort of LISP dialect, and now D. The fact is, Andrew is not fluent in C++ by any means, which has been more than adequately demonstrated by the occassional C++ code snippets he provides us with (I remember seeing one in which he used a pointer to store the result of some boolean operations in a thread that was shortly after deleted).

What I want to know is how Andrew is ever going to be a competent programmer when he spends more time looking for a "better" language instead of actually learning one. I think his time would be better spent learning to actually implement some of the things he would like to have instead of whining that there isn''t a language there to spoon-feed him.

Andrew, I have no desire to upset you with this post. However, I would like to suggest that you be more productive with your time. I think many of us are a little tired of your "new language for every day of the week" posts.

Now, for some of my own feelings. I''ve really had enough of these new, "revolutionary" languages that claim to have all the answers, and that claim to solve all the problems that plague programmers. We don''t need any new languages to help us program smarter. What we need is smarter programmers.

Let me repeat that: you can all quote me if you want.

"We don''t need any new languages to help us program smarter. What we need is smarter programmers." --Brad Fish

• Advertisement