• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the deal with MFC?

This topic is 5830 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know all about it means microsoft foundation classes and what not but why not use win32 it would be only minimaly slower to write and would be much cleaner and easier to read.

Advertisement
have you ever written an mfc app from scratch without using appwizard? its clean and easy to read.

Edited by - logicx on February 1, 2002 12:04:41 AM

1. For medium-large projects it would not be "minimally slower to code" using pure win32 instead of MFC.

2. How "clean and easy" any code is always dependent upon the programmer who is writing it, regardless of whether MFC is being used or not.

Frankly - if you dont like MFC, dont use it. But before you get all wrapped up in your assumptions, read and learn about MFC properly before you dismiss it.

If you''re a C programmer, maybe the Win32 API is easier to read. If you''re a C++ programmer, I expect MFC is far easier. It''s just subjective. Of course, MFC offers a lot of benefits over standard Win32 code as it packages your data with the functions, making things somewhat easier.

Personally, I try to avoid both

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]

quote:

I know all about it means microsoft foundation classes and what not but why not use win32 it would be only minimaly slower to write and would be much cleaner and easier to read.

Don''t use it then. But I seriously doubt you could write anything "minimaly slower" than someone who knows MFC. And while the wizards do sometimes generate ugly code, once you know what''s going, you don''t even see the messiness.

Take care,
Bill

• Advertisement