• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boltimus

File viewing in Hex, binary...

This topic is 5980 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can anyone tell me what program I can DL (for free hopefully ) that will allow me to view the data in its binary or hex form? I''m trying to write a compresion type program for a psecific type of data file, but im trying to find inherit patterns in files of the same data type. Anyway, I tried loading this file (it''s about 3.4 meg) into text editor and it seems to freeze. I dont knw whether it''s because of the size of the file or text editer just cant do it. Any advice? thanks! ~ Boltimus ~

Advertisement
If you''re using Microsoft Visual Studio (MSVC/VC++), then you can do it in there. Go to File->Open... then change the "Files of type:" to "All files *.*", then change "Open as:" to "Binary".

Alternatively you can use QuickView. Or look on any download site (download.com etc etc) which has free programmers tools - there are many many freeware and shareware "hex editors" out there.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

i haven''t played with compression much, but i think you''d be better off letting the program look for patterns before it does the compression, unless whatever type of file you are using always has the same common patterns...

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!