• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fundamentals of Text Output with DX8

This topic is 5828 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Any suggestions how text output should be implemented with DX8? With DX7 some people created new surface for each sentence and blitted that out. Some did one surface with all letters of a font and blitted out letters one by one. For DX8: First way what comes to mind is to create a texture for each letter and push these textures out as needed. Is this effective way to accomplish this task or should I jump out from the box? (Probably this detail changes nothing, but this is for a 2D game). I havn''t found any tutorials focusing in this subject. If you have, plz send a link. __________________________ Thanks, Eepos

Advertisement
With DX8 you will need to create a texture of the font you are using. In the DX SDK, check out \sdk\samples\Multimedia\Direct3D\Text3D for a complicated example, or check out the ID3DXFont interface.

Jim Adams

If you''re looking for 2d text, you could check out the article at nexe.gamedev.net. It uses the id3dxfont interface. You could also use the d3dx create shape functions. One of them is for 3D text. That''s if you want 3d though. I''d say the id3dxfont interface is probobly the way to go though.

[Edited by - kmsixpence on October 17, 2005 7:04:02 PM]

• Advertisement