• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Simple Matrices question - HELP!

This topic is 5865 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im usually a 2d programmer, but I want to take use of the DrawTransform function of ID3DXSprite (so I can specify Z order etc). All I want to know is how to set up a Matrix, I know about scaling, transformation etc, all I don't know is how to actually put the information in the matrix and use it (without getting errors), here is what I do:

float s=1.0f;

D3DMATRIX scale = {
    s,               0.0f,            0.0f,            0.0f,
    0.0f,            s,               0.0f,            0.0f,
    0.0f,            0.0f,            s,               0.0f,
    0.0f,            0.0f,            0.0f,            1.0f
};

hr = g_lpSprite->DrawTransform(g_pTextureThree, NULL, &scale,dwColor);

I get the following errors from Visual C++ 6.0: C:\ZOrdering\Main.cpp(123) : error C2664: 'DrawTransform' : cannot convert parameter 3 from 'struct _D3DMATRIX *' to 'const struct D3DXMATRIX *' Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast Why is this? I think I am doing something wrong, does anyone know? Thanks, Steven R Edited by - stevenmarky on February 2, 2002 5:59:18 AM

Advertisement
DrawTransform() is a D3DX function, which takes D3DXMATRIX types (note the 'X' after D3D). You've created a D3DMATRIX (note no X after D3D) so the compiler is moaning that they are different data types. In reality, D3DX matrices are just wrappers on top of D3D matrices. So you can do either:

float s=1.0f;

// note D3D **X** MATRIX

D3DXMATRIX scale = {
s, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f,
0.0f, s, 0.0f, 0.0f,
0.0f, 0.0f, s, 0.0f,
0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f};

hr = g_lpSprite->DrawTransform(g_pTextureThree, NULL, &scale,dwColor);

or

float s=1.0f;

D3DMATRIX scale = {
s, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f,
0.0f, s, 0.0f, 0.0f,
0.0f, 0.0f, s, 0.0f,
0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f};

hr = g_lpSprite->DrawTransform(g_pTextureThree, NULL, (D3DXMATRIX*)&scale, dwColor);

The first method is probably the best one to go for for future compatibility.

--
Simon O'Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Edited by - s1ca on February 2, 2002 7:23:57 AM

Thanks a lot S1CA thats perfect

You''ve helped me out a lot there, I should of looked more closely at the data types in the first place, duh!

Nearly, hehe - they are supposed to be parantheses for the function, not brackets (like I also did in the first place thinking it was some sort of array).

• Advertisement