Using reference guides

Started by
6 comments, last by CannoN346 22 years, 2 months ago
Ok, this has been bugging me. For API calls and such, its not that bad if a programmer refers to a reference. But my question is, what about complex algorithms and math functions. Like in Andre Lamothe Tricks book, i cant write the triangle drawing or filled polygon drawing(any amount of sides) functions off the top of my head, i have to refer to his code when trying to do it myself... not every second but quite a bit. Now, im only a hobby programmer so its ok, but if i were in the industry, would i be expected to write an n sided polygon drawing function off the top of my head or could i look at someone else''s code and learn off that. Eventually after writing someone else''s code over and over, writing it would become second nature. How does it work for any of you? Would you have to use refernece for this or does it come easily?
Advertisement
I cant write a Hello World program without reference material I wouldnt worry about it.

Once there was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time is called the Dark Ages.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
If you''re doing most stuff by yourself from scratch. Things will fast become second nature.
k, thx.
The point is doing the work. Even if you don''t know exactly how to do something, but know where to look for it, then you are in pretty good shape.
There are several ways to program, however, every resourceful programmer with enough experience MUST develop the ability to figure out his/her own code. In grown-up world, that is called job security. In a kid''s world, it''s called cool.

when all else fails..
XCHG, so what do you mean by that, if i take somone else''s code, understand it? I dunno a shitload of math to come up with things on my own, im about to start grade9 math in 2 days when 2nd term starts. I do make sure to understand something if im copying it.
quote:Original post by CannoN346
I do make sure to understand something if im copying it.

Yes, the idea there is that in the future, you won''t need to copy it, which means you have acquired the ability to develop your own code. Rarely though, do you ever need to ''copy'' code.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement