• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JNewt

Original(?) Tile Blending Idea

This topic is 5982 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Instead of creating many different tiles so that one terrain type blends with another, what if there was a system that automatically drew the new tiles? I''m not sure that this idea isn''t already in practice, but I thought it up while washing dishes. Ok, you have tile A and tile B, water and grass respectively. To blend the two you take a "sample" from B because grass has predecence. This "sample" is a simple the pixel values of a small strip of B. S is the "sample" *********** ************ * * * * * * B * ->> * B *S* * * * * * * * * * * *********** ************ We take the sample from the side the other terrain type is on. Then with the sample, you make every other pixel transparent or something. Then overlay this on tile A. If two tiles have the same predecence, you could choose randomly. That''s it. What do you think?

Advertisement
Not sure if the idea has already been thought of but it seems
like a good idea to me :D, i don''t know how the frame rate would
suffer though, best idea would be to test it, although, one thing
would be you would have to have some sort of transition tile
placed ontop, example...

I''m a programmer, not an artist

DarkStar

Guest Anonymous Poster
Sorry person, but that is not original. On the plus side, it means you can read on other peoples methods. Nowadays, people can make distinct tiles, set a multiplier texture to combine them and alphablend them together in hardware.

As far as frame rate is concerned, unless you were doing dynamic terrain changes you could get away with "smoothing" the map during the loading. And small terrain changes would probably work out pretty quick. As far as being original, I hadn't heard of anyone doing it, but figured that something this simple would probably have been thought up before. Thus the thread title with the "?". The text illustration messed up.

Oh, and about the transition tile. This system would eliminate the need for any such tiles. It would automatically take the samples where needed, apply a transparency algorithm and then overlay the second tile. Thus part of the second tile would be mixed with the first.

Edited by - JNewt on February 2, 2002 12:57:45 PM

The transition tile would be a implementation deal...you might want water to merge into mud, the mud into water.

But, its a good idea.

Bugle4d

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!