• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Draxis

Book Proposal: Good Idea?

This topic is 6159 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When I first decided I wanted to learn to program games, I knew I needed to learn C++, since that was what games nowadays are generally written in, right? My problem was that every C++ book in existence was boring, dry, and had NOTHING in particular pertaining to game programming. I mean, how many address book console programs could I write before going insane?! Then, once I''d learned C++, I started reading game programming books. However, my problem with these was that generally, most of them had only to do with putting pretty pictures on the screen and playing pretty sounds on speakers. There was none of the nitty-gritty stuff like structing data and writing and reading from compressed data files; The inside stuff that makes the pretty pictures and sounds go, y''know? I propose a book solves both of these problems. It would teach C++ from the ground up with the game programmer in mind. It will start with the basics of C++, like functions, pointers, and classes, but teach them in such a way that game programming theories are also expressed; Like everything from how to store tile data to creating realistic AI. So, in essence, it would be a good book for beginning programmers and those who want to get into game-specific programming alike, right? So, how does this sound for an idea? Who might be interested in buying this book? - Draxis Devin de la Parte

Advertisement
Hmm. I don''t think such a book is necessary, since it only takes a little imagination to see how game programming relates to normal programming. But of course, since many programmers don''t have much imagination, and many these days lack the formal education that makes the standard C++ texts make more sense, it could help. A book entitled "C++ For Beginning Game Programmers" or whatever could do well, if written appropriately. Maybe using SDL or some other cross-platform library would make it sell better (you could probably include SDL on the CD, too).

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]

Wow, wish they had that when -I- started to learn programming.
But it teaches all that in just 700 pages? Yeesh!
I''ll have to get a copy just to see how good it is.
Unless someone here already has one and wants to give me a quick review.

- Draxis
Devin de la Parte

YEs, the book exists and should be out in about 2 weeks or so (depending on publisher).

The book covers C++ (not completly, but a good overall with more than necessary info for games) with games in mind, and while teaching C++ develops 2 text based games.

It then moves to Windows and DirectX (8) where the reader is taken on the gritty details, while building a 2D engine (every line (as a figure of speech) of code is explained). Instead of doing various 10 small demos of each effect (visual or not) it prefers to build a complete usable library for games.

The last part covers game specifics as Game Design, AI, Physics, Math, Data structures and algorithms, and other with games in mind (and building the 2D engine with a complete math and physics engine) and finishes the book by building a complete game and giving some tips on publishing your own games.

This book is intended for the begginer programmer, or an intermeddiate programmer which wants to change to C++/Game Programming. It was written as a hand on aproach (each of the code is explained, there isn''t any "for a demo of A B or C check the CD" on the book, Everything is fully explained as it should be in the book, hopefully, making it a very good resource for beggining game programmers.

quote:
Original post by Kylotan
Heh, is that your book Akura? Shame it''s about DirectX though And I doubt it''ll be available here: seems that virtually none of the game programming books reach our bookshelves.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]

You can order them through WH Smith but they sometimes take a fair while to arrive (had to wait about 6 weeks for OpenGL Game Programming)

The problem with such a book is that if someone is going to do any serious development work, he''s going to have to learn things on his own anyway. Things that don''t relate to game programming. The book isn''t going to explain the topics with enough depth to write anything other than the sample programs.
You need to be able to look at different information sources and learn how to apply them, not wait for someone to spoon feed it to you.

Just my opinion, of course.

Take care,
Bill

Yes Kilotan, its mine

About the book not being enough, I completly agree, the book covers about 2% or less than what you need to be a complete game programmer, but the thing is, those 2% are important. And not knowing them, will lead you nowhere.

Everything can be learned from the net or on your own, but a book that has the necessary info to start, expecially for begginers, is a good starting point. The book doesn''t cover everything, but cover the bases (as it is supposed).

If anyone reads the introduction, you will check that even I admit that the book is just a tip of the iceberg.

Also, If you want to order signed copies of the book, you can visit gapione.kyuumu.com (will be up in 2 weeks or so, when the book ships to stores) and you will find information on how to order it). The book will be sold there are a discount (maybe 10 or 15% and I can ship it anyway possible (DHL, air, etc) as long as you pay for it

Anyway, just check the site in about 2 weeks or so for more information on it.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!