Texturing terrain (again)

Started by
-1 comments, last by NewDeal 22 years, 2 months ago
I have a similar thread going in the OGL forum but since this is actually more of a theory question i figured to post something here as well. If this is considered cross posting then im sorry. Im working on a terrain engine using geo-mip-mapping. Everything seems to work and im now experimenting with texturing. So far ive come up with a solution using a combination between multi-texturing *and* multiple passes. What i do is this (in a grass/stone example): First pass: Renders the terrain with a texture blended (using multitexturing) from: 1) A lightmap 2) Small tileable stone texture. Second pass (with blending enabled): Renders the terrain with a texture blended (using multitexturing) from: 1) Same lightmap, with alpha channel containing information about grass density. 2) Small tileable grass texture. Screenshot This is all good, even though perhaps a bit demanding on the hardware. What i cant figure out, is how to obtain similar results without using multitexturing ? And from all you gurus out there. Is the method i described feasable ? (in general). Is there any better methods around ? Edited by - newdeal on February 2, 2002 1:04:58 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement