• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Douwe

Where to start

This topic is 6008 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello I''m new in the game programming. But I''ve some experience with C++ and DirectX. Here''s my question: I want to make my own Real Time Strategy game but I don''t know where to start with the project. By the way where can I find tutorials about making a RTS game? Thanks, Douwe

Advertisement
Something important to note:
DONT do something if you can''t finish it. This may be a quote from TANSTAAFLs book. So if you can''t do it all right now, don''t do it. Start with much simpler games, such as Tic-Tac-Toe or Tetris.
Here is also another note:
Tetris is a good place to start with games, after you FINISHED dont go to another game which implements too much more than tetris. Maybe after Tetris just implement something like AI.

Also the interactive Tutorial in the forums is DAMNED good. Some books which I recomend are Isometric Game Programming with DirectX 7.0 and SAMS teach yourself DirectX7 in 24 hours.

Slowly but surely you will get to your RTS.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!