• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Solstice

Scripting and Forth Party

This topic is 6014 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all. I''m currently putting together my own scripting language + interpreter for a game project of mine (interlock.deninet.com). I had consulted a professor of mine about some of the semantics. The language, DEML -- Denizen Entertainment Markup Langage, is much like basic XML/HTML, a heirarchial structure of opening and closing tags. Each field is concidered a function, and returns some value -- even if all they do is return something. Additionally, I''m adding some extentions for flow control, arithmatic, logical, and comparison operators...etc, etc. He thought that I was wasting my time. I''ve been looking into adopting some "4th party" scripting system, lua, smallC, even a modified Scheme parser. None of these languages don''t fit very well with the concept of the Scene Tree, which I feel fits much better with the heirarchial nature of DEML. Would it be justified to slap me with a large trout, or do I have a point? -Solstice deninet.com aeris.deninet.com "...I was given three choices, the earth, the stars, or..."

Advertisement
/me votes for the large trout.

Unless you have a damn good reason, it''s always better to use existing tools. Good reasons include a different design point or the inability to extend any existing tools (for which source is available) to meet your needs.

I would advise you spend your time and energy writing a scripting lobby instead - an interface that allows you (or your users) to use pretty much any scripting language, provided there is a "lanugage import/description module" for it. So while the game may ship with Python, lua and Ruby support, an interested user could provide support for Perl, smallC, java-script, VBScript...

That''s what I''m thinking about doing.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!