• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

help a beginner in 3D game programming

This topic is 5862 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello!!! all I want to know is that how am i going to programm simple 3D look. i have made a programm that draw a püramid and cube but i don''t understand how i''m going programm 3D game in directx 8. in internet i have found 1 or 2 tuts but nothind more. any help is welcome. this forum is last place where can find good information. ..:::[you were beginner to]:::..

Advertisement
Well, one main element is the math. 3D programming is nothing without it. Now, learning 3D math, requires expanding your mind a little bit, at least it did for me.

What I did was focus on 2D vector graphics games for a little bit. This forces you to learn the foundations of these mathematics, but cutting off that one dimension makes the math hundreds of times easier. Games like asteroids are great learning projects for collision detection and rendering with math drawn graphics. You could also make a simple driving game out of vector graphics, etc... This is also a good time to start working with matrix math. You only need 3x3 matrix to handle all the 2D transforms you can do, this will be a good introduction on how these work. Another might be a simple 2D pool game to work with vectors, collisions, etc...

This will also help you understand working with directX, as well as game architecture.

Next I''d say if you really want to go quickly to 3D, start working on simple 3D programs. start with some basic objects and figure out how the math works. Work on calculating vectors/normals etc.. and really understand these concepts.

A great book to read is Real-Time Rendering. There isn''t anything API specific in it, but it really goes into detail of the math. If you aren''t used to the math you will look at it and be overwhelmed. At least I was at first, but the more I sat down and really worked through it I was able to figure out how to make hierarchical transforms work, and other concepts like that.

So, basically. If you are a beginner, just focus on really small things. Hell, I haven''t even really got to making a game yet, I''ve create some basic terrain renderers, a hierarchical model, etc... These taught me some good things, now I''m working on how to build a solid GUI system. There are so many things to learn (particular if you are working on your own) that you shouldn''t rush the game too much. Just keep it easy and you''ll make progress and that is what will keep you motivated to keep learning.

Guest Anonymous Poster
A suggestion:
If all you want is make games for you use DarkBasic, DIV2, Phoenix... DirectX is not a magic solution that let you make a game with little programming.
I think you should use one of the programs listed above and try to do a simple game (pacman, tetris, arkanoid,...). Then try to program it from scratch. With this approach I think you could learn the most important thing : what do you like to do. It could be code, desing or just play...

Hope that help

P.D. Sorry if its a little offtopic

I found the SDK help and example code quite useful..unleast if you have a reasonable knowledge of c++ it''s not that hard to investigate DX on your own...but it''s not easy either!

On the other hand, I''ve not written any 3d-games yet, but I intend to in just a few decades or so. Make sure you have a good knowledge of C/C++ or VB before you go on with it..Rome wasn''t built on a day, you know.. Start small,it helps!

thank''s u all people... its helpd me lot. i know c/c++ but i don''t know how i''m going to understand directx. ok... say i programmed little dx 8 programm that''s renders pyramid and cube to screen but i don''t know what to do next. it helps if you tell me what to do next. maybe i ask to much but thats me
it helps if you to like this:

1. Draw pyramid to screen
2. Make it rotate and scale
10. bla bla bla

Guest Anonymous Poster
i''ve started just like you, with a pyramid rotating. you can add a light to your project - experiment lighting, then a little text indicating the fps, and so on. the most important thing is tht you should keep it simple and running, rather than complex and buggy. try directx with visual basic first, so you can do simple things with simple code. you don''t need to know all the maths in the world in order to understand directx. search for tutorials - this is the key, then take it easy and try simple things that are working, then add a little more and see if it''s still working(if it''s not don''t abandon it), and a little more, and so on and then try the power of c++ and so on...
try this:
1. you got the pyramid
1.5. apply a texture to your pyramid
2. add a light there to see how it''s working
3. upgrade from pyramid to mesh
4. do some text like fps rate
5. ....

• Advertisement