• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andre Luiz Silva

F*****g DX 8.1

This topic is 5950 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Please somebody help me. My code used to work perfectly with DX 8.0 . Then on a bright day I decided to install DX 8.1 and now all I have is darkness. I am using Borland C++ Builder 5, and my code works fine until I set the buffer size (see below). Then DX returns an error code number 2 (HRESULT: ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND Description: The system cannot find the file specified.) Does anyone have any idea of what the hell is going on?

HRESULT hr;
DIPROPDWORD  dipdw;

dipdw.diph.dwSize = sizeof(DIPROPDWORD);
dipdw.diph.dwHeaderSize = sizeof(DIPROPHEADER);
dipdw.diph.dwObj = 0;
dipdw.diph.dwHow = DIPH_DEVICE;
dipdw.dwData = BUFFER_SIZE;

hr = device->SetProperty(DIPROP_BUFFERSIZE, &dipdw.diph);

"- To begin with, said the Cat, a dog''s not mad. You grant that? - I suppose so, said Alice. - Well, then, - the Cat went on - you see, a dog growls when it''s angry, and wags its tail when it''s pleased. Now I growl when I''m pleased, and wag my tail when I''m angry. Therefore I''m mad."

Advertisement
Try memsetting - DIPROPDWORD dipdw;

This is what I do and it works fine.

DIPROPDWORD dipdw;

memset(&dipdw, 0, sizeof(dipdw));

dipdw.diph.dwSize = sizeof(DIPROPDWORD);
dipdw.diph.dwHeaderSize = sizeof(DIPROPHEADER);
dipdw.diph.dwObj = 0;
dipdw.diph.dwHow = DIPH_DEVICE;
dipdw.dwData = p_dSubBufferSize;

p_Dik->SetProperty(DIPROP_BUFFERSIZE, &dipdw.diph);

Which looks the same as yours except I have the memset.

I am memsetting. I just skipped this line. I''ve tried with and without the memset...

"- To begin with, said the Cat, a dog''s not mad. You grant that?
- I suppose so, said Alice.
- Well, then, - the Cat went on - you see, a dog growls when it''s angry, and wags its tail when it''s pleased. Now I growl when I''m pleased, and wag my tail when I''m angry. Therefore I''m mad."

Could it be the OS.

Requirements
Windows NT/2000/XP: Requires Windows® 2000.
Windows 98/Me: Requires Windows 98 or later. Available as a redistributable for Windows 98.

What does the debug output tell you (I mean, you''re using a debug version of the DX runtime and have increased the debug output level of DInput, haven''t you)?

oto76mm:
I''m using Windows 98.

VolkerG:
using the DX Error Lookup tool from DirectX 8.1, it says that, for the joystick, the erros is a FILE NOT FOUND. For the keyboard I get ACCESS DENIED when I try to Acquire it. The problem is that none of its erros are described in the list of possible return values.

I''ve tried using DirectX Erradicator, and I have installed DirectX 8.0, but it haven''t worked.

I really don''t want to reinstall windows and all applications again. It''s really boring, but I can''t find a solution...

Thank you guys...

- Well, then, - the Cat went on - you see, a dog growls when it''s angry, and wags its tail when it''s pleased. Now I growl when I''m pleased, and wag my tail when I''m angry. Therefore I''m mad."

oto76mm:
I''m using Windows 98.

VolkerG:
using the DX Error Lookup tool from DirectX 8.1, it says that, for the joystick, the erros is a FILE NOT FOUND. For the keyboard I get ACCESS DENIED when I try to Acquire it. The problem is that none of its erros are described in the list of possible return values.

I''ve tried using DirectX Erradicator, and I have installed DirectX 8.0, but it haven''t worked.

I really don''t want to reinstall windows and all applications again. It''s really boring, but I can''t find a solution...

Thank you guys...

I think the access denied message is because your app doesn''t have the focus, so it doesn''t own the keyboard.
As for the joystick - this may sound obvious - are you sure its plugged in?

HTH, Steve

Yes, reading about the acquire return errors, I discovered that the DIERR_OTHERAPPHASPRIO is the same as the COM error E_ACCESSDENIED that is problably the one I receive.

As for the joystick:

- I can create the device, set the dataformat, the coop level. But when I try to use SetProperty to set the BUFFERSIZE. I get the HRESULT error 2. Strangely enough is that the joystick still works. But how can I be sure it''ll work everywhere?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!