• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3d modeling pointers

This topic is 5833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ive seen very detailed 3d models in games and stuff and was very astonished by it. so,,, im getting to know how to model 3d objects by experimenting wit milkshape but i found out, to make objets, i have to go through the tedious "select vertex and move" operations countlessly many times. Not only that, since the usual primitive, sphere, has many vertices, things get confusing and messed up as you move around the vertices, so im asking this to all the expert modelers out there, how do you do what you do??? Edited by - azaxaca on February 2, 2002 8:23:02 PM

Advertisement
This question would be better placed in the Visual Arts forum, I think. But anyway, the only way I''ve ever done a model is the ''tedious'' put vertices - draw triangles ting, and extruding and mirroring, of course. I''m also using Milkshape, btw, and it''s a great easy-to-learn modeller. If your doing LOD characters, you can make a very simple version first, then subdivide faces to get more detail for the near versions.

I''m by no means an expert modeller, but maybe I''ve help some?
Good luck!
...and be sure to post the results at the Visual Arts forum or the Milkshape Art Forum.

I have some tutorials on modeling with belnder up at my site, you might want to check them out.

home.earthlink.net/~eberkain/

When he''s best, he''s little worst than a man,
When he''s worst, he''s little better than a beast.

Thanks for letting me know about your page!!
i went through the first tut, and its really easy to
understand. Blender seems to have more features than milkshape
plus it has a better view system, and i like how i can edit in
perspective mode.

but there is one thing i dont get, how does sub surface work!!!
-it seems quite amazing how the program knows how to fix the
primitives into a more complex figure. Does milkshape have this
feature too??

it seems to me that it sub surfaces by making the middle line of
a face as a new edge and eliminating the two edges beside it,
is that how it works?

o wait, does sub divide mean same thing as sub surface
so that means milkshape has the same feature???

whats LOD charactors....

and milkshape isnt free is it, mine says its gona expire in 30 days

o and another question, are you going to put more tuts on your site? it seems its easier to learn this way than to read all the boring documentations.... or if your not planning to add more tuts, do you know of another site that you would recommend?/

how do you port/load blender/milkshape models wit opengl?

Edited by - azaxaca on February 3, 2002 5:07:59 PM

The next tut im going to write is going to be on exporting your models, Blender has support for Python so you can write your own scrits to export models or whatever you want with them. I dont know when ill write it though.

You can however find existing scripts to save your models as .obj or some other format, then write some code to load them. Do some searching on google.com for stuff like that.

I dont know anything about milkshape, but LOD stands for Level of Detail. My guess would be that you can put multiple model details into a single file???

The blender main site (www.blender3d.com) has many tutorials on it, look for building and textureing a castle, they are good to get started.

When he''s best, he''s little worst than a man,
When he''s worst, he''s little better than a beast.

• Advertisement