Question about Jim Adams' book.

Started by
9 comments, last by Taulin 22 years, 2 months ago
Howdy, Has anyone had a chance to read Jim Adams'' book yet? Or if Jim himself is reading, I have a quick question since I am thinking of ordering now that it is in print. I noticed that he uses Milkshape to create his models and I guess animations that are used in the book also. There have been many questions on these boards about loading and using model animations made in Milkshape and used through an X file. But like many others, I ended up looking at the SkinnedMesh example to only to go back to using other file formats and methods. If Adams uses X file animation data for his example, does he explain the X file animation format in depth, the steps of using the X file data, and how he ended up implementing it? My main concern is dealing with the X file format and its data rather than bone animation concepts. Please Adams, tell us you did not print the line "Bone Animation is too broad of a subject to cover in this book" and proceed not to explain how you imported and used the X File data sets. Thanks for any reply! it?
Advertisement
The book is in print! The book is out?? When, when? I have already placed a pre-order and I have just finished The Zen of Direct3D and now has nowhere to turn for direct3d information (books-based and for beginners)...

BTW, when is it coming out (if it is not out yet)
"Magic makes the world go round." - Erasmus, Quest For Glory I
Heh - I can hear a big groan coming Actually, I ran out of space to explain the bone stuff in detail (graphics chapter was way past 100 pages I believe and the whole book was pushing past 1000 pages).
I briefly talk about how skinned meshes work, but not in great detail. The problem I was getting at was explaining too much of the non-rpg related stuff and not the specific rpg stuff, so I had to change gears a bit.
I did give the full code to my engine that shows how to load meshes and animations. It is a bit easier to understand than DX''s sample (in my opinion).

Jim Adams
*GROAN*

Write a sequel. I beg you, write a sequel!
"Magic makes the world go round." - Erasmus, Quest For Glory I
I''m toying with the idea of writing a book on using animation with DirectX, including skinned meshes. Hopefully things will come to fruit on it...

Jim Adams
On amazon the book is still as not published yet, but on the other hand the text says it "will be" published on 15th jan 2002, which is pretty long time ago
Has it been published yet or not?
Hi Jim,
You got a website that goes with your book?
I''m just curious since I couldn''t find much
info on your book.
Thanks,
The book was sent to the printers around the 15th - it took a while to get the printing done. The book is not printed however and on its way to stores now (at least those with pre-orders of it). There was a problem with the company that maintains the book listings that should have hopefully been corrected now.

My web site is at http://home.att.net/~rpgbook/

Jim Adams
Great, thanks Jim. Looking forward to your book...
Don''t worry about writing a sequal since I am already doing one on that subject. Just joking! Yea, I noticed your book was pretty long. I think anything would be easier to understand than the MS skinned mesh example. Not too large of a groan since animation really is not the topic of your book. I still look forward to picking it up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement