What does ScanDisk do?

Started by
5 comments, last by amemorex 22 years, 2 months ago
What exactly does the ScanDisk program do? More specifically than "checking disk for errors". What kinds of errors? And how does it spot them? Also, how hard would it be to write my own primitive ScanDisk?
Advertisement
Essentially, it scans the fat table and makes sure that everything in the table points to correct data(lost chains), or that the information is correct(timestamp)
If you''re running 9x, usually nothing (as a fundamental design flaws prevents it from ever running to completion 99.999% of the time)

The FAT system keeps two copies of the allocation table, scandisk makes sure they are the same.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
quote:Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
If you''re running 9x, usually nothing (as a fundamental design flaws prevents it from ever running to completion 99.999% of the time)

God I hated this bug. The same thing happened with defrag. Every time a background process changed something, it would start all over. I had a PII 300mhz running Win98, and I don''t think I defragged the HD for about 3 years.

Oh, and I could never shut it down, either. I tried all the shutdown fixes, but it never worked.
And I think there is also a test it can do where it reads each sectir on the disk, and then rewrites it. If that fails, then it knows that this is a bad sector and can''t be used.

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Trying is the first step towards failure.
I use f5 and f8 (depends on which machine I am on) and run it from safe mode. Much slower, but I can avoid that blasted bug that way.

One thing it does is check for "cross-linked" files.

This is where the two or more files point to the same unit on the disk.

Beer - the love catalyst
good ol'' homepage
Beer - the love catalystgood ol' homepage
This is one of my favourite features of w2k. You can run defrag and use the computer as much as you like without it restarting.

- seb

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement