Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yet another quat/matrix rotation question

This topic is 5826 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Howdy ... I''m a 3D newbie and I''m working on a joystick controlled model viewer. I started of using Eulers and have learned about the drawbacks. I reimplemented the code using quaternions but i still didnt get the desired results. I think what I want is to rotate my models coordinate system relative to the world ... rather than rotate the model relative to it''s coordinate system. Imagine a winged spaceship model facing directly into the screen, looking at the engines. I want to rotate it about Y 90 degrees. Now looking at its side, i want to rotate about X and see the pitch of the ship change. What I get is the ship rolling about Z because the model has been rotate within its own coordinate system....I think ... Am I on crack? So where is my thinking going wrong on this????

quaternion multiplication is not commutative. Maybe you multiplied them in the wrong order (I suppose you use multiplication). So if you did a*b try b*a instead, and you might get what you want...