• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LonelyTower

Visual Studio . NET and DirectX

This topic is 6162 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Is there any difference in using Visual Studio.NET and Visual Studio when it comes to DirectX programming? (With C++). Is it easier? I don''t have Visual Studio.NET and with all the hype about .NET I am wondering if I shall learn Visual Studio.NET as well. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
There aren''t too many differences. I''ve heard Byval doesn''t exist in VB.NET, so I doubt you''ll be able to use those as any API calls (At least not in the same way that all us VB6ers are doing it), but if anything essential is missing in VB.NET, you can probably just put a vb6() around it and it''ll work alright.

Guest Anonymous Poster
visual studio.net adds a managed catergory to c++ that allows adds things like properties and garbage collection (and a few others) in to the language so that it works with C# and VB.NET and the CLR so theres not a big bonus there. But the new compiler for c++ takes advantage of SSE, SSE2 and 3dNow instructions sets so that the code is automatically optimized for newer processors.

Just to make this absolutely clear for everyone: VC++.NET doesnt ____require____ you to use the managed extensions. You can write your Win32/COM/MFC apps the way you have always written them(although the IDE is vastly improved).

Once there was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time is called the Dark Ages.

I need help here...
please send some source(in c++ or assembly) to get me started!!!
anything in 3d!!!Even the most simplest thing and ill lern in lke hell!!! please!! i need to start somewhere. I have C knowledge and assembly(x86) knowledge. I work mostly on DOS but i''m gettin the hang of Winapps fast. Please help me!

someone who want''''s to do 3d stuff

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!