• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NeverSayDie

Low Level Data Structures

This topic is 5982 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Alright folks, (I''m sure this qustion has been asked a million times before, but anyway) I''ve been messing around with OpenGL rendering for a while, and I might have enough spare time soon to start work on a 3D engine.(regular indoor FPS sort of thing) I haven''t any illusions of actually being able to make a workable engine first time round, but I''d like to start as I mean to go on Anyway, I''ve been considering the engine framework, and one area that''s given me pause is the design of the low level data structures for representing polygons/levels (I''m not too worried about model rendering for the moment). Obviusly everything starts with vertexes, but where to go from there? I''ve looked at various bits and pieces of source code, and read various articles. Everyone seems to have different ideas - I''ve seen systems involving combinations of triangles, edges, faces, sectors, etc, but I''m still not sure where to begin. I haven''t made any decesions regarding higher level spatial division(octrees, bsps), but ideally the basic structure would support most of these without too much reworking. Anyone care to share their advice or opinions? What kind of data hierarchy do you use/reccomend?

Advertisement
I''d create custom structures to define whatever kind of data you''ll be handling. And if you''re down with OOP, create a hierarchy of classes to handle, well, everything. And build those classes on top of your structures, i.e. the structures compose the data running through them. As far as what kind of hierarchy, etc. it depends what kind of engine you want.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!