• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

learning game developement

This topic is 5924 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I have a intermediate to advanced knoledge of c, and I would like to learn how to program a good game. First off, should I use c, seeing as it is a lighter language than c++. Also... i have learned c, where should I go now? Is there a website that I could go to that would teach me how to make an rpg game. There are a bunch of click-together gaming programs out there that I could use, but I think they all stink. I would like to learn how to program games from scratch. Thanks for the help. Shadow

Advertisement
Well, first of all you''re right about these programs which let you make "spectacular games in minutes". They''re crap. Everybody who really wants to make games, and I assume that you want to do that, because you normally don''t learn C just for fun, should look at some real games and look at their source, try and understand what it is doing and then try to either improve it or copy it into your own project.
Hacking together a game from source code written by someone else is much better than using such a crap program.
If you are a complete beginner to gaming + graphics, I would look above this post to Resources and then to For Beginners and then read the stuff you''re interested in.
Hope this helps you.
cu,
Jonas

Guest Anonymous Poster
C is a lighter language, but C++ is a more managable language. Many newer game uses C++ espcially if it is a huge project. Having a lighter language was an issue a couple of years ago, but the way technology moves, On a PIII or P4 1Ghz, you really don''t notice the difference. Any function that are going to be called once a frame, try to write them in assembly language. That improves your code, but for the rest, C++ makes it easy to create a large project

Well, if you know C really well, you should probably stick mostly to C and start mixing in some C++ features as you go along. If you don''t know C++ well, I wouldn''t heavily use it.

C++ is a good game programming language as long as you are aware of the performance issues. You can take a C program and reliably predict the assembly code that the compiler produces. But with C++, there is alot going on under the hood, and you need to be aware of certain things. Things like:
*pre-increment vs. post-increment operators on class objects
*vptrs and vtables, virtual functions
*construction / destruction costs, cost of creating temporary objects when passing paramaters or in an equation...
can affect performance if you aren''t aware of them.

If you want to use C++ to make graphics games for Windows, you need to learn a graphics API like DirectX or OpenGL, plus a little bit of Win32 programming. Your first project should be something like Pong, Breakout, or Tetris. By then, I think you''ll answer alot of the questions you have right now.

Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by Andre LaMothe is a good place to start. It introduces you to the DirectX API, teaches you just enough Win32 for game programming, and shows you how to write a basic game skeleton.

If you know your C very well, I''d recommend looking at the released Quake 2 source code. You should be able to find this on id software''s ftp, or look on planetquake / fileplanet / download.com

• Advertisement