Best OS for game programing?

Started by
7 comments, last by Potato_Tempest 22 years, 2 months ago
Just wondering about your opinions on what the best OS is for game programming.
B00
Advertisement
I think most serious people use Windows 2000. That will probably gradually change to xp pro.

Take care,
Bill
Windows in general is a piece of something you pooh after you peeh.

Stick to RAW hardware.

Everybodywantssome
Windows 2000 is the only bearable version of Windows to use for development. For games, *nix is also great--it''s perfectly stable, and cross platform libraries like SDL (which is very mature) work just as well on Windows as they do on *nix, so the Win32 version of you game only requires a recompile.

Oh yes, one more thing--visual tools like Visual Studio are great for certain types of development, but generally the Unix style of editor (vi[m]/emacs/xemacs) and command-line tools is much more effecient, if you bother to learn to use the tools correctly. This doesn''t apply to GUI development, of course.
quote:
but generally the Unix style of editor (vi[m]/emacs/xemacs) and command-line tools is much more effecient

Can you qualify "efficient", since it''s been shown over and over again that your statement is not correct.

Take care,
Bill
I believe jonnyfish is mentally substituting the word efficient(actually he misspelled it effecient) for l33t.

Once there was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time is called the Dark Ages.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Well, I think Win XP is now the best tool for a game programmer.
It''s quite stable! And we can get all the right tools for it.

For example, is there something better than borland c++ builder for development?? Having the powerfull directX??
I also do some programming in Linux... So i do know what I''m saying.
You will want to target Windows users. For this reason, it only makes sense to use a Windows compiler with Windows API documentation, and to debug the thing on a Windows machine.
quote:Original post by jonnyfish
Windows 2000 is the only bearable version of Windows to use for development. For games, *nix is also great--it's perfectly stable, and cross platform libraries like SDL (which is very mature) work just as well on Windows as they do on *nix, so the Win32 version of you game only requires a recompile.

That's correct. SDL is great in my opinion. I run Windows 2000 and I'm using SDL for my game, and one of the programmers working with me uses Linux. Yet we can share code without much of a problem besides some compiler specific issues, which have nothing to do with SDL.

One note on Linux though, KDevelop is extremely buggy from what I have seen. And Visual C++ hasn't given me any problems all the time that I've used it.

Edited by - Supernova on February 3, 2002 6:27:24 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement