• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cribbs

Help with parsing a data file string.

This topic is 6038 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need some help with parsing a data string. For my game, I''m have a bitmap file that contains all of the frames of the animation to display laid out sequentially. For each animation, there''s a line in a config-type file which contains various data about each animation to load. I have it in the following format: filename:frame width:frame height:frames eg., with animation file fire.bmp it might be: fire.bmp:48:48:8 How would I go about parsing that string into variables, using C? Would something like (assuming data_file and other variables have been set up properly): FILE *data_file; char image_file[256]; int width, height, frames; /* ... */ fscanf(data_file,"%s:%d:%d:%d",image_file,&width,&height,&frames); Is there a better, more efficient way of parsing data in a format similar to that which I''m using? Thanks.

Advertisement
You could do something like this:

char separator = '':'';
char image_file[MAX_CHARS];
fgets(image_file, MAX_CHARS, data_file);
width = strtok(image_file, separator);
height = strtok(image_file, separator);
frames = strtok(image_file, separator);

I think your original idea should work just fine.

"If patience is a virtue, and ignorance is bliss, you can have a pretty good life if you''re stupid and willing to wait"

quote:
Original post by BitBlt
height = strtok(image_file, separator);
frames = strtok(image_file, separator);

Just a quick note on this: strtok requires you to use NULL as its first parameter on subsequent parses/extractions from the same string. Which would make your code the following:
height = strtok(NULL, separator);
frames = strtok(NULL, separator);

Just in case anybody needed that for future reference.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!