• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SpaceRook

Anyone use XML in their games?

This topic is 6076 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I had a job last summer that involved storing incredibly complicated data in files and then retrieving it in order to dynamically create HTML. We used XML to store the data in the files, and I thought it was a very handy language. I was wondering if anyone uses XML in a game programming environment. I think it would be very useful for storing level info (in simple 2D games, not big 3D worlds obviously) and other data that is a pain in the a$$ to parse. In java, there are certain classes that make it very easy to generate iterators based on XML docs. I don''t know if anyone has made C++ libraries, though. So, anyone have experience with XML? What did you think of it?

Advertisement
I currently use XML as a file format for my 3D engine. I wanted a text based format so it would be more portable and could be edited without a 3D editor. XML seemed like the ideal choice because it was then easy to parse. After the level is designed I run it through my compiler which generates additional information (e.g lightmaps)and saves it in a binary format which the engine uses.
As for parsers, I currently use the one in QT (www.trolltech.com) and I previosly used the ''Xerces'', in the apache project (www.apache.org). Bith these are cross platform and free to an extent.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!