• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KwamiMatrix

Recommend good 3D Graphics Math, theory, and Programming Book please

This topic is 6037 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Any recommendations. I want to learn the mathematics, theory, and programming behind 3D graphics API''s. I decided to purchase a book like this now due to the release of the PS2 Linux Kit, which allows you to develope PS2 Games. Due to the lack of a 3D API for PS2 of course, understanding of 3D theory is essential. Any recommendations would be greatly appriciated. Thankx. Edem Attiogbe

Advertisement
"Advanced 3D Game Programming using Direct X 7.0", this book is more of a general game programming book so don''t be dissapointed if it isn''t what you expected. Howerver it covers some math.

Nice, but I am looking for something that is 3D math and theory hard core. Something that teaches me 3D math theory all the way. No API depencencies. You know, the stuff that teaches me that 3D mathematics behind the API''s. Hmm, maybe I should ask my Calc 3 professor for advice. Anyway, any recommendations??

Edem Attiogbe

Computer Graphics, Principles and Practice, Foley et al.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201848406/ref=pd_sim_b_dp/202-5952220-7498256

It''s THE definitive text on the basics of computer graphics. You''ll see your professor using it at university.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.

How about!

Mathematics for 3D Game Programming & Computer Graphics
by Eric Lengyel

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1584500379/qid=1012815898/br=3-1/ref=br_lfncs_b_1/104-8304628-0313535

Have it in mind that you''ll also need to learn assembly language if you want to do some real PS2 development.

Real Time Rendering.

It''s all math, formulas, theories of scene management, and tons of other stuff. Doesn''t really deal with specific programming, items are described in pseudo code but it is really good for understanding what you should be programming, and not just copy/pasting other code into the project.

Also, it does a real good job of explaining the details behind the math, even some history of where it comes from. Mostly a reference material though, not something you could read straight through.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!