installing ADSL in linux :( pls help :(

Started by
5 comments, last by Pav 22 years, 2 months ago
)hi..iv''e just installed Linux Mandrake 9.1 for the first tim ein my life...now...iv''e got the hang of the new system pretty fast...but i can''t get my ADSL connection to work there! i have an ethernet card and an eternal router (all connected tot the right places). now what i do in WinXP is goto Network Connections and there i configure the Local Area Connection (i think it''s between the PC and the ethernet card) and in the proproties of it i put the ip and subnet mask of the ethernet card. then i make a new VPN (Virtual Private Networking) connection, and under host name/ip address of destination i put the ip of the router (which is connected to the ethernet card)and in username/password field i put : username@isp (so it would be routed to the right place), password. and that''s it! can please someone help me with doing the same or equivalent procces in Linux? (i use KDE). thanx.
Advertisement
When I first build up a box, I use a program called linuxconf to configure my ethernet connections and other various settings. It will provide an interface where you can select if you want dhcp or static ip, and allow you to enter in the ip address and subnet mask. You may want to know the manufacturer of your network card for the driver. The linksys cards and some dlink cards use the tulip driver.

As for the vpn thingy, I do not quite understand why you are doing that. If you need to vpn using linux thru your router, well thats a whole different subject I know nothing about.

Hope this helped!

Hitchhiker90
"There''s one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay
"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
Hitchhiker90"There's one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
Go to thescreensavers.com they have a article on how to do it. It is either under their broadband section or their linux section. I am using my cable modem right now. What I did is install the driver (module) for my modem then set up a dhcp client (pump) and now it works.

It is foolish for a wise man to be silent, but wise for a fool.

Matthew
WebMaster
www.Matt-Land.com

All your Xbox base are belong to Nintendo.

Edited by - TheRealMAN11 on February 4, 2002 6:46:21 PM
you might want to ask around on irc

Matthew
WebMaster
www.Matt-Land.com

All your Xbox base are belong to Nintendo.
All your GameDev.net base are belong to Myopic Rhino
Look into pppoe. Most ADSL systems use it for their connection method. I, also, don''t know what the VPN thing is about, and it makes me doubt that pppoe will work. But it comes with Mandrake 8.1 and is fairly easy to use.

Run adsl-setup, fill everything out. Make sure you know what device your ethernet card is on ( eth0, eth1...).
Then after you finish with the setup run adsl-start.
It will take ~10 seconds and it will say connected.
It will automatically shut down when the systems gets shutdown, but if you have to reset your connection for some reason you can stop it with adsl-stop.

Jason Mickela
E-Mail: jmickela@sbcglobal.net

Please excuse my spelling

-"I''m Cloister the Stupid" Lister (Red Dwarf)
"The paths of glory lead but to the grave." - Thomas GrayMy Stupid BlogMy Online Photo Gallery
quote:Original post by griffenjam
Look into pppoe. Most ADSL systems use it for their connection method. I, also, don''t know what the VPN thing is about, and it makes me doubt that pppoe will work. But it comes with Mandrake 8.1 and is fairly easy to use.

VPN is really just pppoe with encryption. So he might be using pppoe and just setting it up as unencrypted VPN.
If you are using a router, you do not have to worry about PPPoE, that is taken care of by the router. Check your router docs to see what ip address have to be assigned to your machines and configure your linux box accordingly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement