• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

christon

Need Help With School Programming Project

This topic is 6104 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, i''ve got a long story and i need help. I''ll start at the beginning. i am currently studying in NYP, a polytechnic in Singapore. I am studying IT. One of my modules there is to create a game in borland C++ 4.0. I am supossed to do this with 4 other students. during one of our discussions, we decided to do a side scroller as our project. this was because we thought we had a guidebook that we could follow. one of my friends found this free guidebook for sidescrollers on the net. this is the link: http://www.makegames.com/sidescroller. however, after we proposed our game to the teacher, when we tried to compile the codes from the guidebook, we encountered a problem. the codes were written for a borland C++ program 10 years ago, and cannot be compiled now. right now we are in the process of trying to read the code and re-write the game engine, however it is quite difficult. i found this forum board, and would like to know if there are any sites or advice that someone here can give me? i really need help, because if we do not manage to create a game by april, we may have to repeat this module, which i do not want. Can someone please help? Thanks! sorry for such a long post.

Advertisement
im gonna assume you know how to program and at least the basics of a graphics api.

if you do, then whats the problem?

i dont think following a "guide"/tutorial (well, that sites a step by step by the look of it) on how to make a game would be that good an idea for a school project, because its not really your work.

if you need to make a game why not make a simple pong game, breakout. something thats not overly complex? then thats the problem solved.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!