• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brewknowc

diablo quality maps

This topic is 5948 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I was wondering how diablo and others like it, made such random looking terrain. I am making a 2D scrolling tile game and have drawn some nice base tiles and some fringe tiles but it''s missing something... for instance, the parts of my map that have no fringe tiles looks so uniform and not "real", but in diablo almost every spot on the map look a bit different from every other spot on the map even in the same terrain! Could some one give me a hint as to how this is accomplished. Thanks - Free Your Mind -

Advertisement
You could create several different versions of a tile, for example, have 10 different grass tiles, and select from these 10 everytime a grass tile is needed. This way all grass tiles will not look the same. So your enum would look something like this:

GRASS1 = 0 //Grass1 tile
GRASS2 = 1 //Grass2 tile
GRASS3 = 2 //Grass3 tile
... (etc.)

Edited by - alms66 on February 4, 2002 1:21:20 PM

If you look closely at Diablo, you also see the same things all over the place, but they''re grouped with different things. For example in town, by one tree they put rock A, by another they but rocks A and B. The result is that it appears to be a different tile, but in reality it is the same graphics over and over.

In addition to having several different tiles for each base type alms66 suggested, you can also use map layers to your advantage. If you have several different objects like rock and plants that are displayed on top of your base tiles, then the number of "different" tiles becomes something like this:

number_of_base_tiles * number_of_different_objects

quote:
Original post by Pyabo
then the number of "different" tiles becomes something like this:
number_of_base_tiles * number_of_different_objects

just like some other post talked about moving agents not only in the middle of tiles, the same can be applied here, making a combination possiblity roughly equal to:
num_of_tiles * num_of_objects * ((TILEWIDTH*TILEHEIGHT)/4).
the actual tile (diamond) is about 1/4 of the rectangle space.
considering how you can put Tree and Rock-A or/and Rock-B in many MANY MMMAAANNNYY different location combinations on a tile, imagine what you can do with a tree, 2 rocks and a bush! (for heaven''s sake try not to think about how that sounds, it wasn''t premeditated)

so i guess the above formula can be squared - or worse..

//Demiurge
Make something idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot..

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!