16BIT bitmap????

Started by
4 comments, last by cruiz 22 years, 2 months ago
Hi out there! Im programming a game with 8BIT and now i try to grade it up to 16 BIT. How can I make a 16BIT bitmap???? No really!! In coreldraw and in Adobe Photoshop I only can do 8BIT and 24BIT. But not in 16BIT!!!!!!! Im a little bit frustrated! I think you have more experience with this BIT-stuff than me. Can I load with VC++ another Format than .bmp? how? Please post anything. I mean all experiences and tipps can help me. I thanks you all out there. Greets: C.Ruiz
Advertisement
Most Painting programs support only 8bit or 24bit pictures... This means that you should load a 24bit image and convert it to a 16bit one... You just need some bit shifting stuff.
or, create your own conversion program that converts 24bit images to 16bit images using your own file format. than your game dont need to deal with 24bit images.
You''d have to convert anyway, if the game is in 15-bit (555) mode, as opposed to 16-bit (565) mode.

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
Thanks for posts...
How can I convert a bitmap from 24 to 16??
And can I download this "bit shifting stuff" from
somewhere in the internet? Can you tell me some names?
tnx to all: C.Ruiz
Cruiz,

If your game is a 2D one I recommend you have a look at the Allegro library which has routines for games and colour converting. (see www.allegro.cc) Best of all the source if free so you could always use the 24->16/15 bpp conversion routines..

I use allegro for my work and it''s a great library for 2D games especially.

Hope this helps, Rich.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement