• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2D going to 3D, new way of thinking?

This topic is 5829 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I''m new to Direct3D though I ''know'' DirectDraw quite well, so to begin my 3d career I''m planning on making an arcade game. The player should control a ship and blast other guys, not that complicated, but a good start. In 2D i would create sprites and blt them... the usual, I know I can do this in 3D just creating a square and Draw it with a texture, but I want to use some 3D, I want to be able to rotate my ship... when you turn left and right you should also rotate a little along the x axis, but I don''t want to be able to see the bottom of the ship, safes me some modeling! Thus I just want to create a texture say containing 2 wings, 1 fuselage, then I want to create my vertecis, like this: x x x x 1 x 3 x 2 x Where 1 is the left wing and should have 1 texture, 3 is the fuselage and should use that texture and 2 the rwing using another wing texture... I think this is the right way to go. Please correct me otherwise. Thanks

Advertisement
or you could just use a single texture representing the entire ship. this is not new by any means. in fact there are MANY tutorials and questions about this on gamedev. juts do some searching, also look into the d3dx sprite library (though i heard its not as fast as doing everythgin yourself.

btw, in case you did not know, when doing 2d stuff in d3d you simple pretend the textures are the surfaces you blit and you use quads to do to actual blit.

• Advertisement