dot (.) operator vs ->

Started by
8 comments, last by killswitch 22 years, 1 month ago
I''ve been working with c++ and mfc for a couple of weeks now, and I noticed that sometimes the books I have been reading use the . operator, and at times the -> operator as in: object.member object->member What functionally is the difference, and can the two be used interchangably?
Advertisement
-> (arrow) is used when using pointers, the membership (.) is used when you don''t use pointers. Simple, eh?
Hi!

The difference between these two operators is, that -> is used for pointers and . is used for normal variables.

E.g.

struct b
{
int nVar;
} *p, n;

you would use:

p->nVar and n.nVar;

Wildwest

The Wild Wild West - Desperado!
No they can''t be used interchangably. The left hand side of a "." must be an object as in

CMyObj obj;

obj.setx(5);

Whereas the left hand side of a "->" must be a pointer to an object, as in:

CMyObj obj, *objPtr;

objPtr = obj;

objPtr->setx(5);

which COULD be written as

(*objPtr).setx(5);

- seb
I''m scared. Anyway.

. is different from ->

Consider:

typedef struct
{
int i;
}
MY_STRUCT;

MY_STRUCT s;
MY_STRUCT * p = &s

s.i = 2;
(*p).i = 3;

Wouldn''t it be nice to shorten up the second assignment? Use the -> operator!

p->i = 4;

Hope this helps. Oh yeah, also get a book on C!

- Pete
To complicate matters:

if the member is a function pointer, dereferencing that pointer calls the function.

struct mystruct {   void (*func)(void);}struct mystruct S;S.func = foobar; // assignS->func(); // call  

// EDIT: To clarify long after the fact - this example uses straight C and the assignment should have been like this
S.func = &foobar // assignS->func(); // call 

Edited by - lessbread on February 28, 2002 11:00:25 PM
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Thanks, that clears up a lot. Strange that the book that I''m using never mentions this.

Just so nobody''s confused by it, LessBread was wrong. A pointer to a function is not called that way; there''s no difference between calling through a function pointer and a regular function name.

Correct example:

struct AStruct {
void (*FPtr)(); // Pointer to a void function taking no params
}

void VoidFunction()
{
}

AStruct str;
str.FPtr = VoidFunction;
str.FPtr(); // Calls VoidFunction

--
Eric
-- Eric
To complicate a simple matter even further, I will add that you can overload the -> operator but not the . operator.
    #include <StdIO.h> struct Object{    void Function ( )    {        printf( "Object::Function()\n" );    }}; struct Interface{    inline Object* operator -> ( )    {        return &var    }     void Function ( )    {        printf( "Interface::Function()\n" );    }     Object var;}; void main ( ){    Interface I;     I.Function( );    I->Function( );}    

~CGameProgrammer( );

Edited by - CGameProgrammer on February 4, 2002 12:58:11 AM

~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
quote:Original post by LessBread
if the member is a function pointer, dereferencing that pointer calls the function.

This is incorrect. Dereferencing a function pointer does not result in a call to the function. That''s what the function call operator "()" does.

--
You see some pale bulbous eyes staring at you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement