• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mactabilis

Im Stuck.

This topic is 6095 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Alright i got into C++ back in 1998, i got into making a Tic-Tac-Toe game with a basic Array and basic cin-cout stuff. I tried to learn how to make it a directx game and just got confused. I didn''t really do much with C++ until now. Ive been making some games in flash, and have really liked it, but its only good for simple 2d vector-based graphic games. I want to make a 3d game. But not a 3d shooter. I want to make a game where a guy does tricks on a trampoline (theres more to it, but thats the basic premise). I want it to be 3rd person. I don''t know where to go. Ive tried learning C++ but i cannot apply it to what i want to do at all. Any book i can find throughs some code of a 3d shooter at you. How should i go about learning to do what i want? I am pretty good at 3d modelling, and animating, and very basic C++ programming, and Actionscript programming. But I can''t get a hold of anything that will help me to anything. Can anyone help me? .. Thanks..

Advertisement
All I can suggest is that you do a very exhaustive search on google or something. You''ll need to look up trampoline physics (or an approximation of). As for the Tomb Raider style, there must be a lot on the net!

You can start by writing code that loads your 3D model. After that work on the animation system. For your game you need to draw a trampoline model, then animate your character according to some kind of physic system. You also want to write a camera class...That how you would go about doing it. I would suggest sitting down at the start of the project and write a simple design/technical document.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I suggest buying "for the Windows Game Programming Gurus" (I cant remember exact title, but Ive been using book for a long time, lol). It gives a very gradual and yet indepth approach to learning to make games with C++ and Direct x. All you need to know is basic C. C++ is even better.

I suggest buying "for the Windows Game Programming Gurus" (I cant remember exact title, but Ive been using book for a long time, lol). It gives a very gradual and yet indepth approach to learning to make games with C++ and Direct x. All you need to know is basic C. C++ is even better.

Shag, im sure thats what I would do.. but thats not going to help me at all as of now, i wouldnt know how to use the physics or anything. CodeBand23, a little more helpful, but still I do not know enough. and Spanish guy... Thanks, i t looks like that book will help me a lot. I think ill use all of your comments. Thanks

Break this huge task into smaller portions. You want to do a tic-tac-tox game in DirectX?

1. First you need to set up the screen. There is TONS of information on how to do this on this site and in countless books.

2. Now you need to be able to load and display bitmaps. There is tons of stuff on how to do this on this site and in books.

3. Code the AI. The algorythm for this is the same one you used in BASIC. Just the syntax of the code should be different.

When you break things down into smaller pieces, then the whole project looks a little less daunting.

First, you should learn C++ to the point that you would be able to implement the physics and camera and things like that, or else you should have no expectation of making a game. After learning C++ well, follow the advice already given in this thread.

No, HTML is not an OO language.

Masonium, knowing c++ doesn''t make the physics and graphics magically appear... you have to learn them. Mactabilis, if you do truly have a decent grasp of c++, then I suggest that you first start with a 2d DirectX app, and then when you''ve got COM programming under your belt, getting the DirectX in 3d to work shouldn''t be too much of a problem... the key here is reading. Read everything about DirectX, 3d engines, physics, and data structures that you can! Good luck,
-Jesse

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!