FPS Survery

Started by
5 comments, last by overcomers 22 years, 2 months ago
Hi I''d appreciate if you could just spend a minute to answer 8 objective questions. I''m a uni student intending to do a FPS. I''d like to know what ppl look for in FPS. THis would assist in the design of one. 1. Have you played a first person shooter game before? 2. Rate the importance of frame rates of the game compared to other aspects of the system such as the quality of 3d models used, 3d effects, game play, and others? (5: most important; 1: least important) 3. How fast should frame rates (per second) be in a full screen FPS? a. Not sure b. 0 > 30 c. 30 >= 40 c. > 40 4. How many cells or sections should a world map have for you to explore a. 1 cell b. 2 – 10 cells c. 11 – 15 cells d. > 16 cells 5. What kind of effects would you look for in a first person shooter game’s world? (You may tick more than 1) 0 Lighting effects 0 Shadows 0 Multi texturing 0 Mirror effects 0 Teleporting portals 0 Others: ____________________________ 6. How many people should be able to log onto the same network game session? a. 1 – 5 players b. 6 – 10 players c. 11 – 15 players d. > 16 players 7. What kind of weapons should the player have? Please state specifically, if possible 0 Assault rifles:___________ 0 Small arms:___________ 0 Missile launchers:___________ 0 Others:___________ 8. What would you expect in a First Person Shooter (FPS) game?
Advertisement
Cool, a survey ! That''s a nice idea ! well let''s answer it...

Of course I have played a lot. I remember playing at Wolfeinstein 3D on my 486 SX 33mhz where it ran very well. There was DukeNukem, Quake, Unreal, Heretic, Rune...fuck there are too much !

--(5) Gameplay (without this, no one play)
--(4) Controls (A fluid controll is nice)
--(3) Reasonable FPS (at least 30fps)
--(2) 3D Effects (They attract my attention while playing)
--(1) 3D Models (Just make sure they are 3D)

(b)

(d) (I like vast worlds like UO or Everquest)

--Lightning effects
--Shadows
--Teleporting portal (maybe, but this is too much specific)
--High quality textures
--Morphing environnement (A world that morphs with time)

(d) (Today, it IS mass multplayer gaming if you can)

(a) (Imagine a game where you can take any object as a weapon !)

I expect a lot of action with a good gameplay. Also, because of new games, there should a good AI and realistic physics, not the atari type ! Configurable options, multiplayer, level editor, scenario editor, model editor. 3D sound should be supported, because it''s great to play with it. And more...but too much to be written

That''s my opinion !
Cya

/* Bullmax */
-------------
Reality has many forms : good and evil, black and white, ying and yang.
/* Bullmax */-------------Reality has many forms : good and evil, black and white, yin and yang.
1) Yes
2) 5: Game Play
4: Story/Plot
3: FPS > 30 (if it isn't jerky, I don't care if it is 1000 or 33...)
2: 3d models (as long as they don't annoy me, they can be as clunky as you like).
1: 3d effects (most of the really good effects are 2d/2.5d... just look at particle effects / bitmap anis compared to Q2's explosions *shudder*)

3) 30 or more

4) Huge worlds are great, as long as they don't lose focus.... it depends on the game / development time...

5) Everything that improves the experience of the end user. From your list, specifically, lighting effects and decent special effects (eg, particles, explosions) are most important to me.

6) C

7) Guns are good. Personally, I go for the Sci-Fi-overkill-huge-plasma-weapons (tm), but assault rifles are good. Never been too fond of small arms though.

8) A good amount of balanced, challenging action, but it really needs to have a good story... things like System Shock and Deus Ex are the epitome of this.

Edited by - Cirian on February 5, 2002 7:26:35 AM
Not to squash your ambitions, but if you haven''t written many games before, or have not *completed* a 3d (FPS) game, I''d worry about that first. I''ve known few people who have actually completed their 3d FPS game they were planning on making, and those who did their first few games always sucked. Thats how you learn. Don''t try to do too much at first, you will learn much more if you work your way up incrementally. Aim too high and you will never get off the ground.
1. Have you played a first person shooter game before?
I don''t think you include Elite in this, do you? The terminology is a bit inadequate

But yes. (Doom, Quake, etc etc)

2. Rate the importance of frame rates of the game compared to other aspects of the system such as the quality of 3d models used, 3d effects, game play, and others? (5: most important; 1: least important)

3. How fast should frame rates (per second) be in a full screen FPS?
b

4. How many cells or sections should a world map have for you to explore
Can''t answer this objectively: ''cells'' is obviously some sort of terminology I have never encountered.

5. What kind of effects would you look for in a first person shooter game’s world? (You may tick more than 1)
Lighting effects is all.

6. How many people should be able to log onto the same network game session?
I think your questions need better wording... is there any reason why anyone would say "no, you should not allow more than 10 players"? Surely this should be how many players do they prefer or something?

I prefer a (1-5 players). But I don''t agree the game should be limited.

7. What kind of weapons should the player have? Please state specifically, if possible
All of them. (Sorry, I''m not a weapons expert.)

8. What would you expect in a First Person Shooter (FPS) game?
Expect? Or want? I expect it to be pretty boring and a triumph of style over substance, although I''d like to see more enemies rather than better looking ones. Clear tactical differences between the weapons. Scripted scenes to add to the story.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]
Very good view points! Thanks! Just feel free to express yourself!
1) yep, I also even played wolfenstein 3D once :D

2) FrameRate => 5
quality of models => 4
Gameplay => 5
3D effects => 4

3) c

4) b

5) all O''s ticked on

6) b

7) certainly a sniper and a big machinegun :D

8) on easy level game must be playable (if a gamer wants a more difficult level, he should be able to raise it)
alot of 3D-shooters are too hard to complete, so many ppl use cheatcodes, I always try to end the game without them (sometimes on easy level, yes)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement