Leave no witnesses...

Started by
7 comments, last by Wavinator 22 years, 2 months ago
Yeah, you got away with the big score... or discovered the Scroll of Ultimate Doom... or killed the constable... but who saw? Normally, the idea of whether or not a deed is witnessed is applied solely to enemy AI. Guards in Thief will come at you if they "witness" you in their environment. But what of a different type of witness, that can be theoretically implemented with nothing more than a flag? If we have to log actions in order to process them anyway, we could store those that have been witnessed by an NPC or group. KILLED CHARACTER or GOT ITEM events would be stored. To make things interesting, we could even tie the permanance of these logged actions to the life state of an NPC or certain world objects (like cameras). This idea sounds like it could potentially open new and weird strategies for the player. For one, disguises become important (introducing a whole counter-strategy of "unmasking" or framing). Right time and right place for any deed now become vital. Players might even have to go after and knock off a witness (say, to prevent them from testifying). Any random thoughts on this? -------------------- Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
Correct me if I''m wrong but I believe this topic has already been discussed not too long ago.

---
Allow me to clear my head for once...
Stop polluting the air!
---Allow me to clear my head for once...Stop polluting the air!
I don''t recall seeing this before. Anyhow, the player would have some type of notoriety parameter defining how recognizable he is. If he isn''t recognizable, does his deed, and disappears to the opposite side of the globe, I don''t think he cares if there were witnesses or not. If he is recognizable, then this is a problem that might plague him for some time to come.

Regardless of how recognizable he is, if the witness saw the deed but was not detected himself, he might choose to stealthily track the player back to his lair to dig up an identity on the fellow. That being done, there are a number of possible actions including blackmail, theft of the object, blowing the whistle, etc.

I don''t know the topic''s name but the discussion digressed a little to how ''famous'' you were in a town and that being evil didn''t affect NPCs unless they knew it,because of rumours or witnesses.

---
Allow me to clear my head for once...
Stop polluting the air!
---Allow me to clear my head for once...Stop polluting the air!
There would have to be 100% recognition factor on people that actually saw you do a deed, or have seen you and been told "that is the guy". However, it is unrealistic to assume that once ONE guard sees you do something, all of them automatically know that you are the bad guy. If the guards can communicate to each other, the not-present ones would know that there IS a bad guy, but not at 100% recognition.

Dave Mark
Intrinsic Algorithm Development

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Actually, I''d take this a step further.

Have certain NPCs/objects be recognizeable to other NPCs.

So you could have a guard who watches a door, if it''s open he gets suspicious. Or maybe two guards who meet every 2 minutes at a point. If they don''t meet, they start to check on each other.

Thief was good, but always wanted that extra level of realism. Was too easy to pile up bodies in a side room and just wander around without a worry =)

R.
quote:If he isn''t recognizable, does his deed, and disappears to the opposite side of the globe, I don''t think he cares if there were witnesses or not.

I don''t entirely agree with this statement. If I were to commit some highly criminal act (auto theft, bank robbery, murder) and get caught on camera, or even get a good looky from some witness in today''s world, I''d stand a good risk of getting caught even if I went to the other side of the country (Ok, maybe I''d be safe on the opposite side of the globe, but getting there would be another story) In a medieval setting where accurate pictures and foolproof evidence are not readily available, this still only holds true to a certain degree. Simply stated, if you are recognizable, one of the best ways to become recognizable is letting people see you commit memorable acts. this is generic in that those memorable acts can bee memorably good deeds, or memorably wicked deeds. Level of recognition should certainly be a variable, but it could be made more significant then appropriate.
jRaskell, I think you have merely highlighted the finer points of the real world. My example was simple, and I implied it for use in a simple game, which I think would still be an order of magnitude more complex that most stuff out there.

Your points are valid, and in refining any model, are certainly things to consider.
I had a very interesting discussion last night with too other gamers (both more dedicated than I - being the epitome of casual gaming that I am...) and this issue came up when we discussed RPGs with evolutionary paths and detailed player-NPC and NPC-NPC interaction. I can''t say that we added anything to the concept (hey, it was 3am and I had been sleepy since 1am!), but I''d like to see if there''s more to be said on the issue as I want to start gathering my musings (both on independent ideas and the ideas of others) and publishing them to the web.

I wanna work for Microsoft!
[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement