Those love DOS, come and have a look

Started by
3 comments, last by Peter19852001 22 years, 2 months ago
I ''ve seen several posts talking about DOS recently. And quite a number of people here seem to like DOS. I myself don''t use DOS very often, but I think that command line is a really powerful tool and I like it too. I am NOT going to start a argument arguing whether DOS is better than other OS such as Windows, Linix, UINX etc. Just face reality that DOS is used less frequently nowadays. But never mind because I ''ve got a CRAZY idea here. If you love DOS that much, why not write one yourself? I know it sounds a bit crazy, but you need not implement all those complex things at once. It can be treated as an GOOD experience for both beginners and experts. I am not a good programmer of any kind. I ''ve learnt programming for just a short time and not knowing much. I think doing this BIG project can learn a lot. If anyone is going to do this, I am eagar to see the source code so as to learn. But I may not be able to join it since I am a student and a lot of homework and assignments are waiting for me. So I would learn by those code instead. If to you this is a really a crazy idea, then just forget it and forgive me for my foolish.
Q:"Why it doesn''t work?"A:"There is a mistake."Q:"Who made that silly mistake?"A:"The one who write it."
Advertisement
Not crazy at all. In fact, people who need more than windows currently offers, often have their own operating systems in one way or the other, if they have enough skill to make one. I have a kernal of my own almost complete, most of which I currently use.

What you propose is a fine idea, I think, and you could learn a great deal from it if you found the time and the company to work it through.

Luck.
XCHG

Edited by - XCHG on February 5, 2002 5:04:38 AM
Ive always been interested in this, its cool to hear you got a kernel you made yourself. Where would a person start on somthing like this?
antistuff: send me an email and I''ll send you some info to start with. Reach me at pixelrat@hotmail.com and remind me of your query.

Meanwhile, look around and take a look at some posts by 2600 (now closed) right here on the "Game programming" section.

Luck.
XCHG

As a comment: Actually, I borrowed most of its working concept from a kernal a friend of mine has, but the coding is entirely my work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement