what to do next..what to do next...

Started by
7 comments, last by code_fx 22 years, 2 months ago
I know practice makes perfect but in this case makes me better than I was the day before yeserday. What I am trying to say is that how and what do I do to practice besides the programms in my book... I have afew books on programming but would like to become better in each topic and the chapters are only so long for each topic... Right now I have just learned the basics of classes and before I move on I would like to combine every thing I have learned so far and mess around with this for a while... Hopefully eventually I will be able to make simple games than each game more complex than the the previous... any comments
Advertisement
come on...
I program in c++ and well the programs in the books are becoming boraing... I could make my own but... well I dont know...
any one...
Try a Craps game, tictactoe, hangman or something similar.
A pi calcer, prim finder...

Pac-man, tetris...Some sort of strategy game...

Sine curve drawer(without using sin() )

3D engine in software(naah...perhaps not for beginners )

The list goes on...
delete this;
I dont even know where to start when it comes to making games all I have now is a dream of making them and a lot of hope...
I am a newbie... all I can do use iterations, decision making, arrays(very limited), and new to using classes... pointers and advanced arrays sold seperately... I have a book on game programming but it does not make any sense to me and I really dont know where to start... all I do now besides silly practice programs is read the fourms and text on game developement...

cout << "\nHelp!!!";
How about a guessing game? First you can make a game that "thinks" of a number between 1 and 100 (or you can make that user-defineable) and then the user has to guess it (25? No, higher than that. And so on...). I know that was my very first game.

Then you can make the computer guess a number that the user thinks of (your first AI! ).

I think my next game was a tetris clone. But I had to learn how to program Windows to do that. (It''s not that hard, if you''ve got the right tools. C++ Builder is ideal for that stuff.)

Dormeur
Wout "Dormeur" NeirynckThe Delta Quadrant Development Page
I think the first time I really started understanding the basic game loop and stucture was when I was learning AMOS for the Amiga. It came with several small sample games. Anyway, I took it upon my self to make this game that was similar to one of the examples. I never finished it, but it forced me to study that code and really dig into it.
The next big push was when I started moving into C++. I bought a really crappy 3D book called Flights of Fantasy, but I did not know any better at that time. The first time I went through it, I was basically just copying code. So, as usual, the code did not work, which forced me once again to study those bits, and learn new techniques in the process without getting too hampered by the big picture.
After I got it working, I knew several games I wanted to make. So I started speeding up the engine by doing stuff like replacing the bubble polygon sort with various tree methods, and other techniques.
My point is, start going through a book that claims to make a full game or engine. Even if it is not what you want, you will get exposed to ideas and ways to implement data structures. Exposure is a key element in gaining experience. Reading and understanding what is in these forums is great, but actually making a test app, or doing a tutorial and making it work is much better.
So head down to your local book store, and look for a book that claims it makes a complete ''something'' that interests you in any way. Start trudging through it, and take note of the techniques the author uses. There is NOT a perfect book out there, so it is up to you to just do whatever you can.
Have fun!
Well I did the number game... the first game was simple and just asking for a number that is between 1 and 10... simple enough
in this version the number did not change, and did not make any comments for wrong respones...

the second one did the same but the number changed with each guess and a sublte comment for each guess that exceeds the menu and number options...oh yeah it was a loop so if they wanted to try again

the third... well is similar except for the fact that each comment changed after each far off response... for example if they chose the number 13 and the selection is 1-10 a comment would make a rude remark and each remark would change after each wrong answer(if 0< or <10...

quote:Original post by Taulin

The next big push was when I started moving into C++. I bought a really crappy 3D book called Flights of Fantasy, but I did not know any better at that time. The first time I went through it, I was basically just copying code. So, as usual, the code did not work, which forced me once again to study those bits, and learn new techniques in the process without getting too hampered by the big picture.

I sometimes wonder if authors intentionally introduce subtle errors into the code just to make you study it...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement