Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sir_Spritely

Problems moving a bitmap sprite

Sir_Spritely    122
Hey, Okay I am basically working on a breakout clone, I have hit a brick wall with the paddle and gettting it to move. The paddle is loaded on the surface but the code I am using to move it aint working. I think I am not pointing it right or missing something off but after trying all day a whole host of methods I have to seek help - and learn at the same time Here''s the main bits of the code to implement the paddle,

// defines for the actual bat or paddle

#define PADDLE_START_X             (SCREEN_WIDTH/2 - 16)
#define PADDLE_START_Y             (SCREEN_HEIGHT - 32)
#define PADDLE_WIDTH               20

BITMAP_IMAGE paddle[1]; 

int paddle_x = 0, paddle_y = 0;      // tracks the paddle pos

void Paddle_Move(void)
{
	if (KEY_DOWN(VK_RIGHT))
	{
		// move the paddle to the right

paddle_x+=8;

// Make sure paddle doesn''t run off the screen

if (paddle_x > (SCREEN_WIDTH - PADDLE_WIDTH))
			paddle_x = SCREEN_WIDTH - PADDLE_WIDTH;
	} // end if

else
		if (KEY_DOWN(VK_LEFT))
		{
			// move paddle to right

if (paddle_x < 0)
				paddle_x = 0;
		} // end if

} // Paddle_Move()

//load in the paddle 

Load_Bitmap_File(&bitmap8bit, "PADDLE.BMP");

for (index=0; index < 1; index++)
{
	Create_Bitmap(&paddle[index],0,0,32,32);
	Load_Image_Bitmap(&paddle[index],&bitmap8bit,index,0,BITMAP_EXTRACT_MODE_CELL);
}

Unload_Bitmap_File(&bitmap8bit);

for (index = 0; index<1; index++)
{
    int paddle1 = rand()%1;
	paddle[paddle1].x = PADDLE_START_X;
	paddle[paddle1].y = PADDLE_START_Y;
	Draw_Bitmap(&paddle[paddle1],reactor.buffer, reactor.width,1);
}

// return success

return(1);

Then in Game_Main() I call the Paddle_Move function. I think I need to put the Bitmap_Image name into the Paddle_Move() function some how. Help really appreciated. Pk

zipless    122
The first thing that hits me is that after you check to see if the left key is pressed you don''t alter the paddles coordinates, try adding

if (KEY_DOWN(VK_LEFT))
{
paddle_x-=8;

and at the end instead of having

paddle[paddle1].x = PADDLE_START_X;

you want to use

paddle[paddle1].x = paddle_x;

Thats all that jumps immediately to mind, give it a try and let us know how it goes. If it works you might want to think about chnging your code about so that you only call the Load_bitmap_file function at load time, the accesses to hard disc every frame will slow your game down a lot.

zipless

Sir_Spritely    122
Hey,

The first mistake was my bad, I had been altering the code all day and missed that off.

I tried the final change you suggested and the paddle is now at the far left hand side of the screen instead of the center, I don''t know why it''s done that just from changing that one thing.

If you spot anything else let me know, been at this all day LOL.

The only good thing is I have learned so much it''s untrue, looking through all the various articles on the web as well.

zipless    122
It sounds like paddle_x is always zero or close to it, there are a couple of thing that *could* cause this but it''s probably outside the Move function.

Make sure that SCREEN_WIDTH is defined properly and check that the the increment part works by placing breakpoints inside the KEY_DOWN if statements. If your still having problems look at where you declare paddle_x and paddle_y if they''re not global that''ll be the problem, if not i''m out of ideas for the moment.

Yeah you can learn so much by reading through the articles, these boards are pretty damm good too.

zipless

zipless    122
Ah! Then your in for a treat, after you get the hang of them VS is an absolute treat to use, you can see EXACTLY whats going on in most functions and it really helps to track down problems.

Believe me, pretty soon you''ll have red dots all down the side of your code (assuming your using Visual Studio). I think F5 and F11 are my most used keys now, hee hee.

zipless

Sir_Spritely    122
Hey,

Can anyone spot what I''m doing wrong because I''ve tried using the debugger and, it was my first go using it but I didn''t find anything.

Also has anyone got any good debug tricks for MSVC++6?

Thanks,

Pk

Draxis    122
Does the paddle jump all the way to the left when you press the left key or does it just start that way.
If it jumps, then, as hard as it is to believe considering how slow loading the bitmap each frame would be, your code may be running faster than your drawing to the screen.
Basically, it''s reading that the key is being pressed quite a few times before you actually let up.
It''s ugly but try inserting Sleep(100); after you redraw the bitmap just to see if this is the problem.
Of course I''m by no means an expert, or even good at this, so don''t blame me if it doesn''t work! =P
And for goodness sakes, try looking into loading the bitmap to an offscreen surface and blitting it to a backbuffer each frame if you''re using DirectX.

zipless    122
Use the debug mode to break the program whenever the left key is pressed. Now once thats been done check to see what the value of paddle_x is BEFORE it''s altered, it should be zeor on the first run. Now ste through the rest of the if statement and make sure it''s working OK.

Now let the program run again and press left again, whats the value of paddle_x this time? If it''s zero again then it''s being reset outside the function and you need to find where it''s being set to zero.

If it''s not step the program down to the draw bitmap function and make sure that paddle[0].x is non zero.

zipless

/* Ignorance is bliss, then you go and spoil it by learning stuff */