Slightly Off Topic - About Half Life

Started by
8 comments, last by AbeE 22 years, 2 months ago
Firstly, sorry about posting 2 topics so close together, I don''t want to flood the forum but I thought since this topic is different I didn''t want to muddle up my last post. My question is, I have Half-Life here, I''ve searched for all the console codes and can''t find anything about wireframe mode. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was one and if so what it is. Why am I posting this here?, because I want it so I can see what all the polygons look like when they have been divided and partitioned etc by the bsp tree since I am constructing something similar (which is in my other post) and I''m trying to gather as much info as possible to easin'' things up. Thanks in advance for any help.
Advertisement
in quake2 and quake3 its r_showtris (you have to do a vid_restart iirc). it could be that in halflife, or it may be that halflife dosnt have this feature, being based on tthe original quake.
That, and the feature would be a cheat, as it would allow you to easily see through brush-models (and depending on how its coded, solid geometry as well).

-----------------------
chain=chain->chain;
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
I don''t have HalfLife, but I have Quake III. Since they''re similar engines, telling you how to do it in Q3 may help you with HL.

In Q3, r_showtris is a cheat. The only way to access it is to load a map using \devmap instead of \map. The command is then "\r_showtris 1." IIRC, you need to turn off pure server ("\sv_pure 0") and enable cheats ("\sv_cheats 1") before you can turn on r_showtris, and even then you need to be in developer mode (that is, having loaded the map with devmap).

Also, a hint: In Quake III, if you enter a letter in the console and hit TAB, all console commands starting with that letter will appear. This can be enormously helpful. You may be able to do the same thing in HL.
well, the wireframe mode i remeber from quake2+ actually just drew the wireframe over the solid view. you could tweak it (i think) to view through objects as well. though you should be in single player mode (since its locked out of muliplayer mode) and you should try looking through the commands using cmdlist or going to planethalflife.com for a list of all the console commands. it will be much easier looking at the list then trying to ask ppl for it (since it will probally take all of 5-10mins to find the command).

though view how another game does this wont really help you. the breaking up of the geometry in a level is done purly in the map compiler and not in the actually game. i suggest just drawing yoru geometry, then drawing yoru geometry again (after a depth buffer clear or set the depth buffer check to draw on equal depths as well) using line mode (there should be a state setting for the fillmode in openGL), also turn OFF texturing AND lighting when you do this.

of course there may not be a wireframe mode for hl, in that case try quake2 (if you dont got it, you can get the demo at fileplanet.com or get the demo of quake3 as they both support r_showtris to show the wireframe)
run hl.exe -console -dev

boot up a map... (NOT in multiplayer mode, through console)

type gl_wireframe 2

I map for HL, so I know these things :D

Thanks for all the help guys, and thanks for a difinative answer RipTorn, you any good? I used to build levels for HL in my free time a couple of years back...twas good fun.

a person : I forgot about PlanetHL but as I stated in my post I did get sites for the codes before I posted here. I checked 4 cheat sites and none had this code. And viewing how the compiler breaks up the level is useful to know too I think.

Thanks again
I don't want to brag but since you asked...

but I'm one of two lead mappers on the Uncrossable Parallel mod.

unfortunatly, coding has quickly been taking over mapping the last few years.. I simply prefer to set my own limits than to follow others.

ohh. and now I remember, please PLEASE ignore the shots of one of my maps on the site... they are VERY bad shots of an ultra fast compile.. (were taken with very high gamma correction too)

Edited by - RipTorn on February 6, 2002 5:25:16 PM
Some of those screen shots on the site u posted look pretty good whens the due date for release of the mod?

-ando15
we plan for around march. but things go wrong/right, so do not count on it.

pimping.begin();

our mod IS NOT A CS clone. I want to make that clear.

we have done a lot to gameplay in the mod.
eg, the spawn system in my latest map, coventry, for example, has 7 spawn groups/team, totalling some 200 points

we have done other things too, there is no more bunny-hopping for example. (you can only jump when you NEED to)

pimping.end();

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement