Stick Soldiers

Started by
761 comments, last by AdmiralBinary 20 years, 10 months ago
Hey everybody, Whitespace Unlimited (a friend and me ) have been working on a new game for about a week, and have reached the beta testing stage. So, we naturally came to the best site on the web where we could find critical opinions galore. Anywayz, it would be very helpful if you could test it out and tell us what u think of it (preferably including machine specs and FPS). It's a single-player 2D side-scrolling action game called Stick Soldiers, where your objective is to capture the flag and bring it to a flag-stand (a little box with a pic of a flag on it) 3 times. I'm gonna work on better victory conditions, but for now, that's the best I can do. I suggest you read Manual.rtf before running the game, as the controls are anything but intuitive Also, I have only tested this on an Athlon 1.2 with GF2 and 256mb RAM, and I get 100fps steady. I think ideal running conditions for the game are Win98 with a greater-than-800 P3/Athlon - not because it's graphically intensive or anything, just because i haven't optimized it yet It has not been tested for WinXP. P.S. It's all black-and-white and grayscale cos' that's what stick soldiers look like when u draw them on paper P.P.S. AI is kinda dumb also... And finally - here's the link: Stick Soldiers Have fun --------------- I finally got it all together... ...and then forgot where I put it. Edited by - AdmiralBinary on February 7, 2002 3:08:10 PM [edit: enabled hyperlink] Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on February 9, 2002 11:47:59 PM Edited by - AdmiralBinary on February 14, 2002 5:02:20 PM [edited by - AdmiralBinary on April 12, 2002 3:00:25 AM]
Advertisement
P.P.P.S. File size is 350k approx.

---------------

I finally got it all together...
...and then forgot where I put it.
I love it!!! i want to be able to make a game like this.
Well what can I say, that game was loads of fun...going to get back into it after I write this I can see this becoming an unhealthy addiction. I guess my only complaint is the positioning of the fire and jump buttons. It''d be nicer to have them a bit closer together, maybe Space & Alt or Ctrl & Shift. Other than that I loved the game.

System:
Duron 800, 384 RAM, GeForce2 MX400, WinXP
I managed to get around 75fps.

Fa||en_Ange| Productions
yeah, keys are the only problem, pressing Enter is a bitch... Alt. and Control would be nice..

Edited by - mactabilis on February 5, 2002 6:06:09 PM
Great game! Really original art style. Kinda reminds me of a fun Flash short film I saw a while ago. I agree about the controls, though. Mapping jump to the alt keys would be nice. Other than that, good job!
Very cool game!
Strangly enought it only ran at about 75 FPS for me and I got a Athlon XP 1600 (1.4GHz), 256 RAM, Win 2K, GeForec 2 MX 400.
Thanx for the replys guys
I have just uploaded a version which will allow you to go back to the menu by pressing Esc. OK, I''ll remap the keys - Alt will be jump.

Also, you may want to try out the level editor. Just bring down the console (while you are in a game) and type in: SETN EDIT 1

This will put you in edit mode - Drag the mouse to place platforms. The other symbols show spawn points for weapons/players.

To delete a platform, just hold the mouse over it and press Delete.

Try out some of the other jeys too: 1-6 place weapon spawn points, and Z or X delete them I think.

Then when u r done, go: SETN EDIT 0

Anyway, I''ll get back to work...

---------------

quote:Original post by Spearhawk
Strangly enought it only ran at about 75 FPS for me and I got a Athlon XP 1600 (1.4GHz), 256 RAM, Win 2K, GeForec 2 MX 400.

Yep, I tried it on Win2k on my PC too, and it struggled to get 60fps. I dunno exactly what this is...

---------------

Neat!

"So crucify the ego, before it''s far too late. To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical, and you will come to find that we are all one mind. Capable of all that''s imagined and all conceivable."
- Tool
------------------------------
"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement