Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Landsknecht

Problem with glClear...

I am reading the Prima book now and am having a heck of a difficulty. I am working on the first example that uses OGL. All it does is put a rotating triangle on the screen. I am using asserts sprinkled around the code to test stuff. Ecerything works just fine except the frame rate is avout 1 frame every 2-3 seconds... When I profiled the code - it seems the bottleneck is the glClear call... glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT); Why would that call take up SO much time? I mean, this call is made at least once per frame, right? Landsknecht

It does kill some time. Only solutions I can think of would be to turn your pixel bits down, or not use the depth-buffer and draw your objects from the farthest back to the closest.
If you are drawing to the entire screen/window then you actually don''t need to clear the color buffer.
ah yes, a simpler solution is a new video card or computer hehe

GOT IT!!! Well, this was kinda silly. I was trying to pull the OGL code out into a class... While doing this I didn''t realize that you actually create a second DC for your window. Ending up with one DC that CreateWindowEx returns and another DC that is tweaked by the WGL functions.

I had compacted the 2 DC''s into a single. The bug didn''t rear its head until the code hit the glClear function... I guess it was trying to clear a buffer that did not exist. I changed my code so that I used the DC''s like I was supposed to and it suddenly worked!

Thanks for the response guys!

Landsknecht