Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cdhart

glut?

I just started taking a graphics class on OpenGL and for some reason all they seem to go over is glut functions and nothing else. I was wondering why since i learned everything i know about openGL off this website and message board why i have never seen any of these glut functions used before? I cant even recall seeing glut.h included anywhere, so is it some archahic stuff that isnt used or what? just curious.

GLUT also has various helper functions for creating spears, touruses, tea pots, cubes, and menu''s. It also handles some input stuff. Its basically an add-on library similar to D3DX in some respects, which adds some universal base functionalities of OpenGL into your program. If you want, you dont HAVE to use GLUT to create the window and all that stuff. You can just as well use the standard GL window creating procudures, and use GLUT''s various rendering functions within a standard OpenGL program (you''ll still need to link to the GL librarys and such, however). Personally I liked GLAUX a bit better, but GLUT is what they''re supporting right now, so if you''re going to use any such libraries I guess I''d recommend GLUT over GLAUX.