Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some Guy

APL

I''m on a project to study various languages (will learn the basics of one new language every month) and I''m including APL and Visual Basic in this, among others (Pascal, Blitz3D, Python, DarkBASIC, Fortan, and x86 assembly). I''m already a very proficient C++ programmer, and this is really just to study compiler technology and computers in general, as I''ll also be studying UNIX. This month, I want to learn APL. The old guys here will probably know about APL. It was invented way back in the 60''s, I think, and promises to be very different from any other language I will learn. That''s how I take it, anyway. I would like to know of some good tools for using APL (or one of its variants), that are preferably free. I found an evaluation version of APL2 from IBM; I assume that will do. But I also need some documentation. How do I program in APL? Are there any articles on it? PS: Do you think these studies will lead to interesting articles for GDNET?

APL would be a write-once, read-never language (like perl), if it weren''t for the fact that you can''t even write it in the first place, because it requires a ridiculous keyboard.

Are you intent on learning all that sucks?

''cos I just examined you list again.

VB? It''s a hateful language with ugly syntax. I can''t deny that it''s incredibly *useful* but it''s also incredibly *horrid*.

x86 assembler? x86 is an example of all that''s wrong with assembler. It''s a vile instruction set.

Fortran? Ugly ugly ugly, and horrid to use (particularly if you''re using Fortran ''77 -- missing things like non-advancing I/O and recursion).

Why not add brainfuck to your list? At least brainfuck''s compiler has some noteworthy features.

quote:
Original post by DrPizza
Are you intent on learning all that sucks?

'cos I just examined you list again.

VB? It's a hateful language with ugly syntax. I can't deny that it's incredibly *useful* but it's also incredibly *horrid*.

x86 assembler? x86 is an example of all that's wrong with assembler. It's a vile instruction set.

Fortran? Ugly ugly ugly, and horrid to use (particularly if you're using Fortran '77 -- missing things like non-advancing I/O and recursion).

=D LOL. I agree, the languages are not too useful to me, and that list is not final. I really doubt if I'm going to waste my time learning DarkBASIC, for cryin out loud. As far as Fortran goes, that's doubtful as well. I'm not as interested in VB as I am in Pascal, so I'll probably go with that over VB. I've heard some pretty good things about Blitz3D, but that will come last if ever, and I may only use it as a quick way to make an easy game. If I ever use it, that is.

quote:
Quote by DrPizza
And if you really want to do APL, do J instead. J has the virtue of being possible to type with a regular keyboard.

Yeah, I thought that was the case. Don't know much about the language, so I'm trying to find out what I can. I saw J on the catalog of free compilers, so I'll take a look at it.

I'm still narrowing the list of languages I want to study down, and not everything is final. Not even APL (err, J).

Assembly is, though, because that's just something you have to learn if you're a programmer. I'll be studying that all the way through, anyway, while I'm learning the others. Taking my time.

I'm thinking of narrowing the whole project down to 3 months, as well. Keep things easy.

Edited by - Some Guy on February 6, 2002 3:28:50 AM