gameworld limits.....

Started by
7 comments, last by sara_qq 22 years, 2 months ago
hi: computers can now simulate whole worlds. they are big but not big enough. so, how do you limit your outdoors world? there are a few obvious methods to limit all this "worlds". one of the most used is the island. games take place in islands and you cant swim or if you touch water you die. examples... giants, gta3 to mention some new games. other games simply put that invisible wall which is just...bad. if i remember correclty, tribes2 didnt have a limit, you could just walk for hours because it was infinite. not always good. any others? which one do you prefer? any other ways to limit worlds?
Advertisement
In some old Genesis game where you flew a helicopter around killing stuff, there was an edge of the map which was interpreted as the mission bounding box. If you left the area that was enclosed by that box, you''d get a radio message telling you to go back, and if you didn''t return, the mission was over.

quote:Original post by sara_qq
...tribes2 didnt have a limit, you could just walk for hours because it was infinite...
I remember playing some mech-game that used voxel maps, when you went over the edge of the relevant map, it would generate random terrain which you could walk around forever. In a subsequent version, they used the same idea to tie all the maps together, so there were ''locations'' and lots of random terrain in-between. While you travelled from one place to another (in your dropship), the new location loaded.

Swiv3D had a wrap-around voxel map. I loved that game!

George D. Filiotis
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
Think your level is a planet like our earth (a sphere). When you go beyond the eastern frontier for example, you will appear to the western side of the map.

I think it is the most realistic solution and it's good in gameplay terms too.

------
GameDev'er 4 ever.

Edited by - Khelz on February 6, 2002 7:03:40 PM
------GameDev'er 4 ever.
yes, that´s a good solution. i havent played it but i think in halo the world has a ring shape so it is more lineal.
I think the wrap-around is one common idea, whether east-west only (eg. Civilisation) or east-west and north-south (many RPGs like Ultima VII and Final Fantasy 6). This avoids the artificial barrier problem.

Ideally though, you''d make the world so that it was big enough, and fill in the details with procedurally generated information. Technically you can store a whole world in one number, providing you have enough processing time to follow the number sequence far enough from that number to generate the required terrain features.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]
For a space game it''s a bit more difficult. You limit the range of ships so that players have to turn back or run out of fuel. Otherwise you just have a barrier through which ships can''t pass and players have to accept that that is where the game world ends.
quote:Original post by Crydee
For a space game it''s a bit more difficult. You limit the range of ships so that players have to turn back or run out of fuel. Otherwise you just have a barrier through which ships can''t pass and players have to accept that that is where the game world ends.

There''s always fractal generation, where more simple number seeds can be expanded into greater and greater universe details (all with a pattern, of course). You could have tons of stars and planets this way.

But one major gameplay problem with big worlds is content repetition, which kind of makes them a bit pointless in most cases. You eventually end up seeing the same tree, the same house model, the same starship, whatever... Yes, you can go ALL OVER THE PLACE. But what can you do once you get there? And why is any one place better than any other?

The world size needs to roughly correspond with the number of assets you think you''re going to be able to generate.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
The best way to do it is to make a island where water surrounds it. In the game Operation Flashpoint, each map is made into a island. So people must come to a end, otherwise they will walk into the water and surley die. Well thats just my couple cents.
Expansion on the world wrapping:

Take a 3d game and wrap the environment E-W, N-S, and Up-Down. Adventuring in an Escher print, as it were.

JSwing

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement