Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goldsword

3D - Non flat surfaces?

Okay, I''m a newbie to 3D programming, I''ve just managed to create my first app where you can rotate a flat texture and move it, no big deal. Okay what about real 3d then? Say a cube, thats 6 sides = 6 squares = 4*6 vertices + 6 textures, how do I organize something like that? Should I create my object class, create some kind of square class which has 4 vertices and a texture and then have a pointer ot x squares? And when I''ve initialized them I guess I create my vertex buffer and fill it... Now comes the tricky part how do you set the multiple texture? Since I draw the entire buffer? That''s quiz one. My other question is: How do you make an object translate the way it''s facing, something like: newx = oldx + (dirx * speed) I dunno the formula andI whounder if someone could tell me it? Thanks!

Well... If you want to draw an object that has several textures, you would do the following (I am not very good in DirectX, hope I say nothing stupid):
Fill one vertex buffer with all the necessary vertices for the 6 sides. Set the first texture. Render the first 4 vertices of your square (I think there is a way to render a vertex buffer partially. If not, set up several vertex buffers). Set the second texture. Render the next 4 vertices of your square. Set the third texture...
If you want to translate an object the way it´s facing, it is important how the object´s position is stored. If you use a 3x3 matrix for the rotation of your object (if you use a 4x4 matrix, just take the upper left 3x3 matrix), the first row (or column, I don´t know which is correct for DX) of the matrix points into the direction of the object (even though it might also be the 2nd or the 3rd).
Let´s say the direction vector is then (_11, _12, _13). Now you must multiply this with your speed: (speed * _11, speed * _12, speed * _13). And add this to the translation vector of your object (probably the last row or column of your 4x4 transformation matrix). If it moves in a strange way, just try all possible vectors, like (_11, _21, _31) or (_21, _22, _23) or (_12, _22, _32)...
One of them should work.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Okidoki, thanks for your answer think I''ve got it. I use the same matrix I used for the rotation and extract the 3 rotation values. (Why can''t I just use my object''s own rotation vectors? like Object.Angle.x ... y ...z etc ?) And add the new values to the translation vector and translate it. Again thanks