My first game - stick to VB or ditch it for C/C++?

Started by
12 comments, last by 3DNeophyte 22 years, 2 months ago
Hey, guys. I''m making an RPG in Visual Basic 6.0 that''s completely text-based (which is many people''s first-step in making games), and the production is going smoothly. However, I''ve been getting my feet wet in C/C++ (great languages!!); and since C/C++ is much more preferable than VB in the programming field, I''ve been wondering if I should redevelop the game in C/C++ and scrap the VB version. So, what should I do? Should I stick to the VB project and make another game in C/C++ afterwards, or should I ditch the VB project in favor of its rebirth in C/C++? The game is 40% complete, just in case that would serve as a decision factor. ''''Math is useless'''' - who the hell has ever said that!?
Advertisement
I would say it depends on what you feel comfortable doing. If you think continuing on with VB would serve your programming better then carry on. It is good practice writing the entire program in VB, then see how much more cooler you can make it rewriting it in C++. At least you will have a good exposure to both languages then. It basically comes down to your judgement.
If this is not only your first game but one of your first full programs then I would suggest doing it in VB, C/C++ is alot less friendly to a beginner and you should focusing on learning how to write logic rather than language specific code. If you''ve been programming for VB for a while and this is just the first game your making then just go with whatever seems more comfortable: familiar VB if your more interested in learning how to program game mechanics and logic, C/C++ if you''re more interested in learning a more advanced (difficult) programming style.
Thanks, guys.

I''ve taken your comments and advice into consideration. I''ve been doing VB for 3 years now, so this RPG isn''t my first "full" program. However, it is my first "game". So, I''ll stick to Visual Basic for its development. When I complete it (which will be quite a while from now - the game is like a text-based Everquest but with a Baldur''s Gate-style story and 90+ hours of gameplay) I''ll delve into C/C++ further, learn DirectX, and try to create a 2-D sequel. Thanks for the replies!

''''Math is useless'''' - who the hell has ever said that!?
hey neo, ive seen some really cool 3D games in vb, and im sure if most people saw them, they could be mistakenly said to be programmed in c/c++. vb is cool!!!

SKATEBOARDING IS NOT A CRIME!
Thanks for that reply, Kill. I''ve used DirectX7a in VB to make a foggy landscape before, and the results were very nice (it was a test to see if I could do 3-D at all). You are right about VB being able to produce 3-D games that could be mistaken for C/C++ coding. I would stick to VB, but almost all the resources on DirectX use C/C++ code examples (thus, I want to be C literate)- rarely can I find VB resources. If you (or anyone else for that matter) know where I can find good DirectX resources for VB, give me a tell (doh! EQ lingo). Thanks

cool, man you think you could email it to me? id like to see it

zith321@hotmail.com
forgot that

LOL, it was a test; so once I was done with it, I threw it in the recycling bin. When I have some time, I''ll piece it back together using code that''s still lyin'' around. Since I''m working on that infernal game of mine, it may be a few days or a week before I get it to you. Also, my RPG is in a demo state; so when I complete the demo, I''ll e-mail that to you as well.

Just in case anyone is wondering what the game features, here''s a few elements of my text-RPG demo:

- a starting town with item shops, smithing shop, tavern, etc.;
a full town.
- up to 10 different demo-game zones, from sprawling plains to
dank, undead-infested crypts.
- a full set of spells up to the 3rd circle (character level 12).
- trade skills (smithing, jewelcraft, spellcraft, tailoring,
pottery, etc.) will be implemented, but with limited
craftable items.
- numerous quests, including one that triggers the game''s story.
- dozens of social monsters (orcs, gnolls, kobolds, etc.) to
hunt, including an orc stronghold similar to EQ''s Crushbone
waiting for your assault.
- and more...

The demo should take about 10 hours to complete, depending on how much you stray from the story. The full game will probably take days of playtime in order to complete the story, and even more playtime to do the game''s wide assortment of quests. Oh, and if you''re an EverQuest fan, I''m even including rare spawns in the mix. The game should be great if I can get it off the ground. Wish me luck

Anyway, I''m ranting too much. I''ll hopefully get that VB 3D test file to you, Kill. I''ll e-mail the demo when it is completed.

''''Math is useless'''' - who the hell has ever said that!?
I''d also like an e-mail of that demo, I hope it is as good as you say. In all honesty I have always found text based games to be more stimulating than the new graphics intense games...but thats just my opinion (possibly biased seeing as I''ve been working ONLY with graphics for the past few months....soo tiring...)

My e-mail is thesleeper@hotmail.com

Cheers and Good Luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement