MMX are present on ALL new chips?

Started by
5 comments, last by L-Tryosine 22 years, 2 months ago
Only old chips don't have MMX extensions? Edited by - L-Tryosine on February 6, 2002 7:41:47 PM
Advertisement
correct AFAIK

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

All x86 compatible new chips, yes. I imagine Alphas and MIPS don''t bother with them. But all the recent intel/AMD chips have MMX.
all chips including above Pentium MMX (PPro, PII, Celeron, PIII, P4) should have MMX. but, you should really check with the "cpuid" instruction for full compatibility.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
The PPro doesn''t have MMX.

MMX supporting CPUs are:
K6-2 (some versions), K6-3, PMMX, PII, P3, P4, Athlon, Duron, Thunderbird, AthlonXP, AthlonMP, and AMD Hammer.
Plus the Cyrix MX, AFAIK. I think pretty much any processor running at 233MHz or higher has MMX capability, excluding any Pentium Pros that might run at that speed (I forget).

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]
yeah the pentium pro was an attempt to run 32bit apps faster. meant more for servers. ppl hated the poor 16bit performence. thankfully intel was not stupid in sticking with trying to keep the 16bit stuff running well when 32bit was becoming the big thing. the pentium2 is the pentium pro with mmx and some other tweaks. meant for multimedia due to the fast 32bit performence and the addition of mmx.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement