Gameboy Advance programming

Started by
8 comments, last by zel0 22 years, 1 month ago
Hi. My friend wanted to make a game on the GBA, but I have to get a lot of info to do so. I was wondering if anyone knew of any info related to gameboy advance programming, such as what you need for developing, for testing and stuff. I''ve read the article on GBA development posted here, and I downloaded the devkit advance. I have some C/C++ skill...but still learning. If anyone can give some tips or help me with this, it''ll be appreciated. thanks in advance. Chris
Advertisement
www.gbadev.org - That is probably your best bet.
I''m looking through some of the tutorials at gbadev.org...the first one I looked at doesn''t really explain too much. Also, they kinda depend on you owning and using VC++ to compile the GBA stuff... I looked at the makefile, and I was having trouble understanding it.

I''m still looking for tutorials, but I was wondering if anyone knew where I can find info on how to compile GBA games, and if I can use my Borland compiler or have to use the GCC one.

Thanks,

Chris
You need to use the GCC compiler (unless you fork out a few grand for the official dev software). MSVC is just used as an IDE - the MS C++ compiler isn''t used since it doesn''t generate code the ARM cpu that the GBA uses (and neither does the Borland compiler). You can get by using nothing more than GCC, notepad and GNU make (although I don''t recommend it).

Iain
Iain HutchisonProgrammer, Silicon DreamsThe views expressed here are my own, not those of my employer.
try
www.thepernproject.com
it has some comprehensive tutorials that cover gcc and the arm compilers along with links to some good map art and sound tools
Heres my two cents, where's my reciept!
Anybody know how to get the compiler to work under WindowsXP?

Why shouldn''t it work under XP ? All GNU tools I use work perfectly under XP.

Regards!
Hey, I finally got it working under winXP.

Found a problem...

/bin/sh.exe not found.

Need to add SHELL=c:/dir/sh.exe.

Go to http://www.sillett.com/gba/gcc.asp if you have that problem...it solved it for me.

Also, note that it''s the backward slash / not the forward slash \ as is common in windows. The \ slash is used to indicate a escape character (I believe), like the apostrophe ''. In my case it was Chris''~1 (the directory is Chris''s Stuff). You can''t use quotes either, so you have to use the short filename if you have spaces in your directory name. Hope that helps.

Try post the errors that you get.

Oh, if you are using devkitadv, you need to get files other than just the core...you need the libraries and the gcc stuff...the first 5 files if you use windows. I found that in a tutorial somewhere...

Chris
If you don''t like to use makefiles, or want something simpler than makefiles, consider looking at http://www.thepernproject.com/. It''s tutorials use a batch file, with only 3 lines to compile the tutorial, as opposed to long makefiles. If you need to add files, either way, you would have to edit the makefile/batch file. But the batch file is easier to change (IMO).

There might be some things you would have to change in your files to use this though...you may need the devkitadv, not sure if it will work with other devkits (only have devkitadv), and you would may have to use "int main()" instead of "void AGBMain()". I''ll be testing it to see if it''ll work w/ AGBMain.

Chris
quote:Original post by zel0
Also, note that it''s the backward slash / not the forward slash \ as is common in windows.

just a note: "\" is a backslash, and "/" is a normal slash... but other than the switching of the names you had it right.
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement