You have inspired me, so here's a new plan

Started by
3 comments, last by RolandofGilead 22 years, 2 months ago
This is the original post from "ignore other post, concept fully explained here".
quote:I am currently writing the engine, game rules, the overall system. I have no artistic talent. I have no money to pay real artists. This game will require a large number of characters, more than I can do in any reasonable amount of time, both in the art itself and their creation. If several thousand people each contribute one thing I will have both all the art and intellectual property that is needed for the game plus a substantial base of people who if not paying for the game at full price can at least spread the word in order to get people to see their creation within the game itself. I want to make money.
a person, What am I an idiot? Well, I hope not, anyway. I don''t need the copyright, I just need the license to use their art. More importantly it doesn''t have to be brand new art, all artists have portfolios. If I use a likeness they get credit and money, provided any is made. If none is made, all they had to do is send a piece and they''ve got a bit more exposure (albeit incredibly small) for the price of electronically sending me a picture they''ve already done. What the hell they could possibly have against that I have no f***ing clue. I may need to advertise to get to enough artists though. I''m on 56k and I don''t have time for their sites to load. Even the crappy artists would be appreciated, this should help a lot with the manpower portion of the problem. More than art really, I need 3d models and character profiles. Profiling I think could be done a la sourceforge style since it only requires someone to think of what the monster should be like(yeah, yeah, I know, I know, hey, you want to place a bet now as to just how many dwarves, elves, orcs, and dragons will be thought of), except they get money for each profile. You may have noticed the trend, if not here it is. Game development takes time(really?, I had no idea). People working on a project stay working on a project. I see a change, instead of a few doing much, the many do a few each. There''s a license agreement for each work. Not just contract work, but many many little contracts. Since there will be so many contracts, a form contract will probably be used. Anybody know a good lawyer? Cause if there''s a flaw or loophole in one, it''d be in all of them. Contact with all contributors could be limited to just a few e-mails, a few letters, an approval process, and a little signing. This would make management much simpler if each contributor really did leave shortly after. May sound funny, but that''s what happens when you make it up yourself. So Obscure especially, thank you, you made me realize I will indeed need to be inventive in this endeavor. Davaris, you''re right about people quitting, I''ve actually quit a team project before, though I think I lasted longer than two weeks. Hopefully people''s short attention span will be the strength of this plan. I only need a person for two weeks, probably less. As far as hard drive goes, I''ll need to upgrade my whole computer just to play the thing. grhodes at work, I will definitely look at that software. Thanks to all of you.
Advertisement
I''m sorry for closing the other two threads, I really
should have done that before making a third.
this thread makes no sence to me, all I get is you want to make a game based on donationware art, which I dont think is a good idea since every artist has its own style. Characters, buildings, vehicles will all look odd dont you think? "the old make demo, find investors, hire a crew, finish game" aproach is the best one in my opinion

Edited by - kwizatz on February 7, 2002 10:33:34 PM
You shouldn''t have closed any of the threads you goose! These things have a life of their own and other people besides you may be interested in their contents. Next time keep posting in the original thread and don''t delete it.
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
Why is it that in all three of the posts people
keep thinking that I''m not gonna pay people?

I''ll say it again, contributors will be compensated.
(My definition of donation means free.)

I might actually go with the tried and true though.
Even finished products have demos to entice potential customers.

"Isn''t that what e-business is all about, new business
models"-paraphrased from a commercial.

Comments, suggestions, criticisms, as I understood the faq was
"don''t post just to post" and I haven''t.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement